PDA

View Full Version : vacuum tank hook together

Betch
04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
how can i hook a zero vacuum tank to a second one ? i don't want to lose vacuum or risk sucking one in if one overflows.

Rhino
04-22-2012, 06:02 AM
If you want an idea to get away from "hooking" up 2 zero tanks together you could do what we did, Just put a submersible deep well pump on the bottom of your zero tank (laying down) with a float hooked on it. What we have is just a 300 gal. zero tank that then is pumped into a 1500 gallon poly tank. We have a float set to the pump, that whenever the zero gets around 30 gallons or so in it, the pump empties it out. Just a 3/4 inch hose is hooked to the deep well pump, you can go bigger but it dosn't take long with the 3/4 inch to pump 30 gallons. The best would be if you have power to your area instead of needing a generator just because of the 220 volt deep well pump and then the vac pump besides that, you would need a pretty good sized generator. I see Fleet Farm does handle a 110 volt deep well pumps, that should work also but I am not positive on that. Few years ago i was able to get 2 stainless steel 15 gallon pressure paint pots, They were brand new but were rejected from the company for some reason. They are tall enough to slide a deep well pump vertically in them and have enough room for a float to operate inside. My buddy is useing one of them for a few years now and loves it. He used to always have to stop the vac pump and see how much sap was in his zero tanks, but the biggest plus to this is the sap stays so much better if you can get it out of the zero tank and have the deep well pump the sap to a tank thats in the shade.

Rhino
04-22-2012, 06:08 AM
I should of mentioned that you can get used 220 volt deep well pumps real cheap from your area plumbers, Alot of them keep the old ones after they pull them out and if they still work. Otherwise new ones are around $250-$300.

maple flats
04-22-2012, 06:15 AM
how can i hook a zero vacuum tank to a second one ? i don't want to lose vacuum or risk sucking one in if one overflows.
If you already have the 2 vac tanks, just plumb then so both tops are at the same level. Connect both thru the drain valves but run vac to both. The connecting plumbing should be tolerant of freezing. Then if things freeze overnight the one will collect the sap until the connecting tubing thaws. At that time they will then seek the same level. If you don't already have both tanks, use the above reply method. Realize that a Zero vacuum tank in good condition is only tested to 20". I only take mine to 20". Some go higher, some implode their tanks, some don't.

ennismaple
04-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Maple flats is right - we did that with a 600 and an 800 gallon Zero tank for 20 years. If it's gonna freeze we turned the valves off on the tank end and drained the sap out of the interconnection.