PDA

View Full Version : CDL 2x6 or CDL 20"x66"

MTF
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
For those who have a CDL (Dallaire) 2x6 or CDL 20” x 66” basic wood fired raised flue evaporator (no preheater, no steam-away, no air over fire):
What is your average boiling rate (gph)?
How many taps do you have?
If you were to do your purchase again, would you move up to a 2x6 (f you have a 20x66) or down to a 20x66 (if you have a 2x6) with the same number of taps?
Any quirks/disappointments about the evaporator that you are using?

I have 150 taps and will not expand above 175 taps, so I think I am on the border between these two sizes. I would like to save myself a trip to the VT open houses next week, so if anyone has any photos (the catalog doesn’t do justice to its pictures) or even have one of the above two evaporators that I can visit in western NY (west of I-81) , please send a PM or email.

Thanks,
MTF
MapleTreeFarm@yahoo.com

Thiems sugarshack
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
I dont have eithier but I have a leader 2 by 6 and who highly recomend the 2 by 6. I have had between 120 and 150 taps and I would not want anything smaller then a 2 by 6 I was getting between 23 and 30 gallons an hour 30 was when evreything was going perfect with no blower or any fancy things. Hope this helps
For those who have a CDL (Dallaire) 2x6 or CDL 20” x 66” basic wood fired raised flue evaporator (no preheater, no steam-away, no air over fire):
What is your average boiling rate (gph)?
How many taps do you have?
If you were to do your purchase again, would you move up to a 2x6 (f you have a 20x66) or down to a 20x66 (if you have a 2x6) with the same number of taps?
Any quirks/disappointments about the evaporator that you are using?

I have 150 taps and will not expand above 175 taps, so I think I am on the border between these two sizes. I would like to save myself a trip to the VT open houses next week, so if anyone has any photos (the catalog doesn’t do justice to its pictures) or even have one of the above two evaporators that I can visit in western NY (west of I-81) , please send a PM or email.

Thanks,
MTF
MapleTreeFarm@yahoo.com

nymapleguy607
04-20-2012, 05:54 AM
I would definitly go with a 2x6. I also have a leader set of pans and last year I had 208 taps, even with forced draft I sometimes wish I had a 2x8. My GPH including start-up and shut down was around 43 gals. The nice part about 2x6 evaporators is they hold there value really well, in case you ever upgrade.