PDA

View Full Version : Syrup tasting/samples rules & regulations?

Bucket Head
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
For years I have offered syrup samples at craft shows and special events. I put a little syrup in those 1oz. plastic portion containers- the same containers a lot of guys use when offering samples drawn from their canners for sugarhouse visitors/customers. I have a small waste receptacle nearby for the empty sample cups. I have never read or been told that this style of sample offering is correct or not. I've never been told by event organizers, hosts, venue owners, customers, etc., that its incorrect. I'm wondering is this the "correct" way to offer samples? Are there rules or regulations for syrup sampling? Have any of you had to have a permit of some sort for samples?

The only reason I'm wondering is because of a question on a registration form for a local event that asks; "If you are offering samples of food products such as cheese, jellies, sauces, mixes, candy, etc., do you have all proper health department documents and/or permits?". This question never came up on any of the registrations in the past. Is there something I need to know before I go any further with this application? Thanks.

Bucket Head
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Nobody has anything to share on this topic? I know many of you are handing out samples. How are you doing it and why are you doing it that way? Were you told to do it a certain way?

Michael Greer
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Sometimes, when faced with a question like this, it's best to stonewall. It's all legal jargon that nobody ever reads, and is only there to please some butt-covering insurance man. Leave it blank and go on with your work. If someone REALLY wants an answer, they'll ask again, which will give you an opportunity to raise a complaint.

Bucket Head
04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I did'nt think this subject was taboo, and ignorance is'nt always bliss, you know what I mean? All I'm wondering is if there are regulations on sample giving. Like I said, I've never seen or been asked this at all the other events I do. I've handed out thousands of samples without one question or complaint. I understand that sometimes being silent is better, but I think leaving the answer blank would raise more of a red flag than just simply answering "yes". I say that because syrup and honey rules are covered under Ag & Markets, and our rules are a lot less when compared to the "processed" foods- the jellies, sauces, mixes, candies, etc. that the form asks about. Has anyone ever been questioned about their sample giving? If so, what was said? Just curious.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Steve,
Not sure if this applies but a couple of years ago our county assn. in conjunction with the Dairy princess was passing out samples of maple milkshakes. The health code officer stopped it. Said it was ok within our building (where we were approved to serve meals) but not outside on the general fairgrounds. People could take a sample in the building and then take it onto the grounds but we could not go out on the grounds and offer it to them.
Doug

maple flats
04-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Steve, I hand them out the same as you. Just make sure you use gloves to handle the sample cups and don't pour a bunch ahead. I don't know the laws and rules but that is what we do. In one outlet we leave a small open jug and sample cups for them to serve themselves. We will continue this until told otherwise.
Good luck!
Dave

Bucket Head
04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll do the same and do as I've been doing.

markcasper
04-20-2012, 06:06 AM
I would say that if you are giving away the samples and not charging for it, then noone can come after you for anything. I would leave it blank and if someone in charge tells you to stop, then they will have to explain themselves. As for health department papers, thats a bit confusing. In Wisconsin, if you hold a food processors license from the state, to me that would seem to trump any local requirements.

RollinsOrchards
04-29-2012, 11:44 AM
In Maine I think there is a mobile vendor or mobile food processor license that you need to get in order to "prepare" food at a location other than your inspected location. It is just a check box on the same application form as our other food processing licenses that adds $20 to our license fee. You might have something similar in your state where you need to give the government a few bucks so they won't hassle you.

OR . . .

Now you might be reading more into that question than you need to. Forget that they ask about samples in the first part of the question. . . the real question is: "Do you have proper licenses for the products you are offering?" Your answer is yes you have all the proper permits. If you are in fact missing one slip of paper then that is just an oops. You also want to have a copy of those licenses available at the event.