PDA

View Full Version : saw decision

Mogli
04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
got two choices that are tempting for chainsaws just want to get your guys opinions on which is the best bang for the buck and overall opinions of the saws

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/2959406987.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/2945499042.html

sugaringman85
04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
go for the 290 the 041 will give you trouble with the age that is in...the 290 will be more reliable

Mogli
04-16-2012, 09:22 PM
i was kinda thinking the 290 but with a spare saw, i was wondering then if the 041 is worth it, also always used saws with a chainbrake. Never have needed it but how much more dangerous is a saw without one.

lakeview maple
04-17-2012, 04:52 AM
I have a MS290 and a Husky Rancher,the Stihl is a better low end torque saw and the hushy is great for alot of limbing .Just my 2 cents.Oh yeah the 290 was 50 bucks cheaper.Al

Dill
04-17-2012, 09:30 AM
My father's got a 290 of about the same vintage. He likes it, its not the biggest, or the lightest saw out there. But it does what its supposed just a good all around farm saw.

Amber Gold
04-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a 260 and it handles a 20" bar fine and I've been very happy with the saw.

motowbrowne
04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
it may not be in your price range, but I am an advocate for buying saws of the "pro" series, whether stihl, husky, or whatever. The 290 is a great saw, but I think that for an extra 50-150 dollars you should be able to find a MS260, which is similar power, but less weight and professional construction, or even a MS360 or 361, which is a few CCs larger, weighs about the same but will be built better and last longer. I often see these types of saws on Craigslist for 300-400. I bought a (barely) used MS 361 with a full wrap, 25 in bar and double dogs for 400 and have been very impressed. Also, I would definitely say to get a saw with a brake. Good luck

sugaringman85
04-18-2012, 06:46 PM
it may cost more but any pro saw is definately worth every penny spent...and someone mentioned the 361...get it...its a fantastic saw. In my opinion the bests saws on the market at stihls... 460...361 or 362, and the 260 or 261. all pro saws, all light for their size, all have amazing power. and you can't beat a stihl

Russell Lampron
04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I see that the post for the 041 has been deleted. The saw in the picture in the MS 290 add isn't an MS 290. I don't know exactly what it is but the threaded gas and oil caps and white handle make it a pro saw of the 1990's. It's an 0 something that looks to be in the 036 range. For $200 it's a good deal if it runs good.

kinalfarm
04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
My husky 365 puts a woopin on my brother inlaws stihl ms361

Mogli
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks for all the input, I have been hunting for a pro saw and have been sold on the pro series saws since i ran my dads 028 super to heat our house growing up. there is a 038av kicking around also but for 300 would that be worthwhile to at least look at? And for husky's I know go pro models also but I dont know model history the way I do stihls. I atleast have a clue for the most part with the stihl but dont know what to look for model wise with a husky.

maple flats
04-19-2012, 05:10 AM
I've always been a Husky guy, but Stihls are good saws, I just don't like the local dealer. Used saws are always a gamble. You don't know if the proper oil and mix ratio was always used. Sometimes a used saw is a great buy, sometimes not. A few years ago I bought a Husky 350 (homeowner saw, 20" bar) that looked like new. I paid $200 and used the saw for about a year along with my regular saws. I used it mainly for limbing and used my 359 and 365's for the felling and heavy bucking. That 350 turned out to be a bad saw. When I started having issues with it I took it to my dealer to get it fixed. He opened it and said it had been used with poor oil ratio or the wrong oil type. He said it was not worth repairing. I know I use the right oil and ratio, in fact I mix 2.4 gal gas for the bottle of oil for 2.5 gal so my ratio is slightly extra and I use Huskies own brand of oil. Lesson learned, the guy I bought it from had ruined the saw. It looked like new and he said he had only used it to fell and cut 5 trees along his rear line. He was in a developement and I saw the stumps. In 5 trees he had done irreparable damage. He had to use oil or the saw would have quit before he got done but the oil was either wrong ratio or wrong oil. By the way, my other Huskies are going strong and in addition to my maple wood, I also do some logging and bucking of logs for my sawmill. They get lots of use.
I'll never buy a used saw again from a homeowner.

motowbrowne
04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't know much about Huskys either, but as far as I know the pro series saws, at least in modern years have "XP" in the model number. I personally would stick with something newer that an 038, but those are pretty well regarded saws. I have found Arboristsite.com to be an amazing resource for comparing and reviewing different saws. in this post http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/29893.htm there is a brief overview of the 038 series at the top of the page. Those are pretty big saws, depending on which one the one you're looking at is, it could be the equivalent to a MS 440, which is a pretty big saw, but the smaller of them is pretty close to a 361 in size. If you are into the size of a Farm Boss (290) then a ms 260 would probably be a good model. If you want to use a bigger bar, the 038 magnum could run a 36", and don't mind carrying the weight then that size saw would be worth considering, again, personally I would go with something newer, a 360, 361, or 440. Then again, I'm not that excited about the brand new stuff, 261, 362, 442, etc. My opinion is definitely biased, but I really like my 361, it performs well with a 25" bar and is pretty light and manuverable with an 18 or a 20". Hope this helps.

Mogli
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
for now I'll hold out but that 038av was not a magnum build so it wouldn't be super heavy as it comes with a 20" bar, which will do most anything in the woods you see in western ny, not too many oolldd growth trees around. thanks again for all the input, it will definitely help me with my decision when I get there. And ya about that story of the husky toasted in 5 trees makes me worry about ever buying a used saw.

whitetail farms
04-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I run the 290 with a 20 inch bar and absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeanD
04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks to everyone's input. I've been following this thread because I needed to buy a new saw. I ended up going with the Stihl MS 261. The Bosses and Ranchers seemed like good saws and I would have gone with one of those, but based on the advice here, I made the jump to the pro level.

As far as Husky vs. Stihl they both have comparable counterparts at each level, so it was hard to decide. Even the guys in the store were split on the brands. Only one guy owned both and had a slight preference for the Stihl. In the end, I thought the 261 was a little easier to handle. It seemed a little more balanced in my hands. I'm sure if I got the Husqvarna, I would have gotten used to its feel, too.

It cut beautifully, especially through a couple of tough stumps, but the biggest thing I noticed is that for the first time ever, I can feel my fingers after using a saw. I thought the anti-vibration stuff might have been a little gimmicky, but it seems to really work.

The decompression valve is great, too. I can't remember if the Husky had it, but that feature is well worth it. It was so easy to start every time.

I'm sure I'd be happy after one day with any new saw, but I wanted a saw that will last. All of the info about dealing with ethanol has been really good. Time will tell. When I bought the synthetic oil with the saw, it doubled my warranty to two years.

Thanks again,
Sean

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
i picked up a jonsered 2159, 18" bar last year, its perfect for what I do. Plenty of power. paid 600, its made my life a lot easier

RustyBuckets
04-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Johnsered are great saws. There is one on the Sugarbush.info website for sale. http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php?product=135&title=used-jonsered-2152c-chainsaw&cat=21 I think the seller is a chainsaw dealer by the sounds of it.

Thiems sugarshack
08-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I made the mistake of buying a saw that was way to small the first time around a stihl 230 I soon relized this was not the saw for me so I started to shop for a saw that I was not going to have a lack of power.We sell firewood so between that and sugaring wood we cut around 30 to 40 cords a year. I ended up buying a stihl ms 660 my friend had a 460 and it would have been big enough for me but I had to have a bigger saw then him right?

red maples
08-09-2012, 07:38 AM
I decided to just get a few new parts for my poulan pro. got it before I started maple. Its good for a box store saw and for what it is but when you get into 15 cords a year I am going for much bigger. but decided to wait to until next year and get a Husqy or stihl pro series saw. haven't decided yet. Chappel tractor is a dealer in both brands so I am gonna check them out and compare.

maple flats
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
That's the main determining factor. Both are good saws if you get one of the pro saws, a good servicing dealer makes the decision. If you have a good dealer that handles both just pick whichever seems best for you.
I used to get Poulans, about 1 every 12-15 mos. and they were worn out. I thought they were good, but then I decided to get a good Husky. I have used that saw for 8 years and it still works like new. I now own 2 huskies, one with a 20" bar and one with a 20" and a 34" bar for heavier cuts. When you first get a pro saw you will see the difference on your first log. It will cut faster than the Poulan even with both having new chains. Then keep your chains sharp and make firewood fast.

red maples
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
looking back through this thread I noticed you said you had issues with a used saw and mixing problems. I used to always have issues with that saws, weed wackers, basically anything that used mixed oil/gas went to a shop near by to get the saw looked at the guy started it up said your mixture is wrong. I said I used exactly what the directions said he asked how much per gallon I was using I said 2.6 like the manual said he said thats wrong!!! he said use 3.2oz and only use premium gas and ever since I switched the saw with run perfectly. never had an issue since when I do notice the engine is starting to act funny I know its time to clean the air intake filter. which I do several times a year!!! but sharpeing I do almost everytime I use the saw especially after cutting white pine I don't know why but the saw always gets dull quicker after cutting pine.

maple flats
08-10-2012, 03:34 PM
I too only use premium gas for my saws and other mixed gas equipment. Since I started do this, I have had no saws etc that had to be taken to "my saw guy" to get it running after a several month rest. This was not the case when I used 86 or 87 octane. I also recently started using non ethanol gas for all small engines, both 2 and 4 cycle.

Russell Lampron
08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I use Stihl Ultra Synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed 50:1 in all of my saws. I also use it in my weed whacker. I also use premium and go to a station that has individual hoses for each grade of gas. That way I am getting the octane that I am paying for and not a hose and pipes full of 87 octane. I don't worry too much about ethanol because I use up my pre-mix fast enough. I seldom have any that is older than 1.5 months.

red maples
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Any body hear anything about the husky 562 yet? just curious...buying one next year, so I am starting to look now and find out as much info as possible. Its new according to the husky website. just looking how this saw compares the stihl...362 and the husky 550's.

I cut around 12-16 cords a years between soft and hard wood. So looking for power, speed durability etc like everyone else. I am a little worried about having a computer in a saw...just one more expensive thing to break down!!! In my opinion my saw doesn't have to be that smart after all its cutting wood!!!

somerwhere around the $7-800 range is what I am planning to spend but less would be much better!!!

maple flats
08-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Try looking for a 365. It has been discontinued due to EPA regs. If you find one (new) you should get a great price. Try GKS, Rome, NY. 1-888-330-SAWS www.gksales.net If he has any left the price is good and the saw is great. I have one I use with a 20" bar for bucking and a 34" bar for triming logs on my sawmill as well as felling the bigger trees. Lots of power, no computer. It cuts like crazy.

Maple Ridge Farm
08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I always use premium gas in all the small engines it worth the extra few cents. They all run better and longer which is on else headache and money in my pocket in the long run.

Mogli
09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
well after much searching found a 038 magnum with a 20 inch bar that was well cared for by a heavy machinery tech. just got to test out yesterday and it flew through the 19-20 inch ash i fell. fit the bill for 250 knowing that it was fed proper mix its whole life and just had all of the fuel lines and carb rebuilt to be withstand the ethanol we see in gas these days. but ya spending the money on the syn stihl mix to keep it on the up and up for cords to come.

motowbrowne
09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm glad you found one you like. Those 038 Magnums are pretty powerful saws. I think that's a 72cc motor. That's similar size to a MS440 of contemporary production. I'm sure it does just scream with a 20inch bar on it. I really want to get a 20inch bar for my MS 360, I used one recently that had a 20" and it was so nice and light and much more manuverable than the 25". I think having a 25 or 28" would be a nice compliment to the 20" you have, keeps you from bending down so much for limbing a down tree. With that 038 you ought to have no problem turning anything up to a 36" bar, though that's probably overkill.

Bruce L
09-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Brad,I purchased the 576 xp autotune,tons of power,but I find when it runs out of gas,which is what I tend to do when cutting,tells me it is time to fuel and oil up,it can often be tougher to start than our other Husky.Oh,by the way,I dropped a grand on this saw,so far no major issues other than starting as mentioned.
Bruce

motowbrowne
09-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying that one too. A grand ought to buy you plenty of saw. I have to say, though, it's like when I was growing up:
Me: "Mom, it hurts when I do this"
Mom: "Well then, don't do that"

I suppose if you paid full retail price for a pro saw then you want it to be perfect, but if it were me I'd just try not to run it out of gas. Suppose you could take it in to the dealer, if you paid a grand for it, they ought to take a peek at it for you.

Mogli
10-10-2012, 07:07 AM
It is a 72cc motor. Right now got a 16 inch and 20 inch bar. The 16 inch for bucking and cutting into split legnths when I have the wood piled high out of the woods, a lil faster chain speed and less cutters to sharpen, thinking of getting a larger bar but want to get used to the saw first. Its big step up for me, used to my dads 028 super. Borrowed an 036 pro for a while and cut up a couple cord with that, but wow what a difference between the 038 mag and 036 pro. Probably will run a 25" bar at some point but there are only a few trees in the area that are large enough to warrant any bar over 20" thanks for the support and advice. happy cutting

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm glad you found one you like. Those 038 Magnums are pretty powerful saws. I think that's a 72cc motor. That's similar size to a MS440 of contemporary production. I'm sure it does just scream with a 20inch bar on it. I really want to get a 20inch bar for my MS 360, I used one recently that had a 20" and it was so nice and light and much more manuverable than the 25". I think having a 25 or 28" would be a nice compliment to the 20" you have, keeps you from bending down so much for limbing a down tree. With that 038 you ought to have no problem turning anything up to a 36" bar, though that's probably overkill.