PDA

View Full Version : Granite Arch

325abn
03-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Just pulled my taps and thinking about next year. I finised with 12 Gal of med and dark, hoped to make 15 but burnt my pan last night.

I need to do something different than the Gas fired burners and 22 x 20 x 6 roasting pan I did this year. I just could not keep up and I put out way to many taps(60). I have been granted acess to many trees. I want to expand to enough taps and a evaporator that I can do about 100 - 120 gal/hour.

Any thoughts on using granite slabs to build a oil fired arch? I have acess to cut, Aprox 4 x 10 x 8 granite slabs. I think the granite would hold up great to the heat

Thanks

Sugarmaker
03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
325abn,
You might be the first with a granite arch? My uncle built one from creek clay (back in the late 30's).
You would need a least a 3 x 10 or equiv to get the 100-120 gph. with hood and preheater maybe a little more.
Good Luck, Too bad about your pan. Sounds like your grade held up well for using a single pan.

Regards,
Chris

WF MASON
04-01-2006, 02:58 AM
I know I've been to a couple cookouts in New Hamsphire and Vermont and seen granite drops from the headstone quarry used to make the fire rings.(some very pretty colors and polished) But I think most pieces cracked over time from the heat or direct fire on them.

Rob Harvey
04-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Granite can be kind of explosive when heated. I know that granite can be finished with a torched surface, where it is heated with a torch and the surface pops off. I dont know if it would get hot enough to do that in an arch or not. It probably would not if you fire bricked the inside. Rob

hard maple
04-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I have harvested granite from a old farmhouse that was burnt down and it seems to be quite brittle.

325abn
04-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input! :) I think the granite arch idea will be nixed, I will find another use for it. I have a few more ideas for an arch and buying one premade is certainly on the table. But I always like to to try and build my own stuff before I write the check.