PDA

View Full Version : Maple tree disease

philkasza
04-16-2012, 07:07 AM
I don't know where to put this on here but I just heard that there may be a disease going around in the maples. The person said a disease came through and wiped out the elms and now the ash trees are dieing because of emeral ash bore or something like that. And now there is supposedly a disease getting started on the maples and oaks. Has anyone heard of this and if so is it only in a certain region of the usa? We just really started in the maple industry last year and now we hear this, it makes us wonder how much we should pursue this career in life. This could permanently affect almost everyone on this is site. Right now the maples around here look very healthy for the most part but it is a concern.

Sam

philkasza
04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I guess no one has heard of this disease because no one has wrote back:-| That sounds good. Sam:lol:

PerryW
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Might be the Asian Longhorned Beetle. It was fond in Worcester Mass, but they controlled it by cutting lots of trees. (Thank you for your sacrifice Worcester!)

Russell Lampron
04-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I haven't heard of a disease to maple trees. There are infestations of the Asian Longhorn Beetle in parts of the north east that effects mostly maples but they will infest many other hardwood trees too. The latest ALB discovery was somewhere in Ohio I think. A lot of trees were cut in NY and Worcester, MA and 10 trees were cut in South Boston because of it.

Other pest that I know about are the Emerald Ash Borer and the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. The elms are dying because of the Dutch Elm Disease.