PDA

View Full Version : 30P Tubing flexing

vtmapleman
04-15-2012, 08:13 AM
During the warm spell this past year I had an interesting experience with 1 1/4" Leader 30P tubing. I changed my sugar bush over to a wet/dry system with the first 300' feet being 1 1/4" (dry line is 1 1/4" gray and wet line 1 1/4" 30P). My vacuum pump will only create a max of 26" of vacuum when all valves are closed. During the extended warm spell the wet line collapsed about 3/8" to 1/2". Would expect this collapsing reduced the volumn of the wet line by at least 25%. I wash my lines with water/air - set pressure at 55lbs to push to end of sugar bush. The washing process pushed the 1 1/4" line back out to almost it's original round shape. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. In tieing the pipe to the wire I put the ties 6" to 8" apart.

sjdoyon
04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Have not heard of your situation before. We ran two inch and one and quarter inch black tubing for our wet and dry lines for over a mile last summer, only issue we ran into was the shrinkage of about six inches of the line where we connected to the sugarhouse. Sounds like your line is not rigid enough to handle the pressure. We had 26lbs of pressure throughout the sugarbush with no issues.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
During the warm spell this past year I had an interesting experience with 1 1/4" Leader 30P tubing. I changed my sugar bush over to a wet/dry system with the first 300' feet being 1 1/4" (dry line is 1 1/4" gray and wet line 1 1/4" 30P). My vacuum pump will only create a max of 26" of vacuum when all valves are closed. During the extended warm spell the wet line collapsed about 3/8" to 1/2". Would expect this collapsing reduced the volumn of the wet line by at least 25%. I wash my lines with water/air - set pressure at 55lbs to push to end of sugar bush. The washing process pushed the 1 1/4" line back out to almost it's original round shape. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. In tieing the pipe to the wire I put the ties 6" to 8" apart.

I think black water pipe makes the best dry line material. Leader pipe is quite soft. I can see why it would do what you described.