PDA

View Full Version : Looking to move to WV

Ronald
04-13-2012, 05:58 AM
I am heading for the hills and interested in moving somewhere between Kentucky and North Carolina. One desire is to find acreage in a good maple sugaring community. What counties or areas in West Virginia are amongst the best for Sugaring ?

Thanks,
Ronald

220 maple
04-20-2012, 09:38 PM
West Virginia Counties I would rate as the best are Pendleton, Grant, Hardy, Tucker, Preston, Randolph, Pocahontas and Greenbrier and maybe Mineral also.

Mark 220 Maple

Ronald
04-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for info. Is fracking ( water injected gas drilling ) happening or in the works in WV ?

Ronald

220 maple
04-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Ronald,
The only county on my list that I don't think will ever be fracked for natural gas drilling is Pendleton, the reason is the Marcellus Shale is on the surface in a lot of places and where it is underground it is not deep enough or thick enough to frack, as mentioned earlier most of our marcellus shale has already washed to the sea. All the other counties have been drilled already or will be drilled in the near future.

Mark 220 Maple

Edward Howell
04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi Ronald ,
We just came here 2 years from geauga county oh , I would caution you to make sure you are above 2500 ft elevation if you want to make syrup that far south . I am 900 feet close to the ohio river in wv and we should have tapped in jan. There were some folks in virgina that had no sap runs because of the warm winter. As you know we are getting much warmer in the big picture weather wise. ps , the fracking is big time here in the ohio river valley :(
Hope this helps

ED