PDA

View Full Version : which way to heat

sandman6921
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
OK all, I built a 30" x 5 evaporator (two pans) back pan was a through the pan tube style that I heated this year with a burner with an output of 300,000 btu.
I did use 18ga SS, which is a bit on the heavy side.
I am not happy with evap. rate I had, and I can convert back to wood fired. Any idea of an evap. rate I should expect with a 30x18 firebox about 18" high? Thanks

smokeyamber
04-10-2012, 09:20 AM
OK all, I built a 30" x 5 evaporator (two pans) back pan was a through the pan tube style that I heated this year with a burner with an output of 300,000 btu.
I did use 18ga SS, which is a bit on the heavy side.
I am not happy with evap. rate I had, and I can convert back to wood fired. Any idea of an evap. rate I should expect with a 30x18 firebox about 18" high? Thanks

What kind of rate did you get with the burner ? Lots of variables help boil rates such as depth in pans, distance to under the flues etc.

With wood and a blower I would guess around 10 to 20gph... my setup is flat pans so I get less, but are 18gauge mild steel and I got around 10 to 12gph. My setup did not boil well on the back pan so I would guess there is lots of room for improvement.

sandman6921
04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Same problem, I got close to 20gph, but I expected more. If I use the burner, I'm locked in to 300,000btu, wood I don't know, but I suspect you could get more.

smokeyamber
04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Dry wood and a blower and you should hit at least 20gph with that setup. You can do a conversion and test in the off season with plain water. Bet once you dial in it you will be happy. Wood is a bit different to boil on than oil since you can't just turn it off, but I think you can eventually do more with it on your setup. Also look at AOF and AUF posts on here and you will see that it too can help your rates alot.

sandman6921
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
used wood on my flat pan set up, thought I was getting ahead ( and lazy ) with the burner, but not real happy with my output. Lots of free wood hear, so that cost is my time to cut & split. I can modify the firebox a bit and go back to wood with no issues.