PDA

View Full Version : flue pan using the batch method for micro batches?

mathprofdk
04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I made a post earlier this season (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?16413-Another-practice-run-not-boiling-as-expected) about not getting the boil I was expecting on my new custom evaporator. It's just a little 2x2, with a simple pre-heater using a stock pot with a valve on a back burner. If you're interested, here are some pictures (https://plus.google.com/photos/105617821852821251413/albums/5728352648225768321).

I never finish on the evaporator, since there really isn't that much fluid in there, and I'm afraid of scorching the pan. Plus, I'm boiling outside, and it's just easier to finish inside on the kitchen stove.

I'm thinking of a drop tube flue set-up like this one (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?11661-2x4-Drop-Tube-Flue-Pan). I saw another thread about using a flue pan to batch process (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?16306-Flue-pan-but-batch-method), but their pan is roughly double my size.

Would it be possible to process to near syrup with a 2x2 drop tube flue set-up? How much of a risk would it be that the syrup wouldn't blend and I'd scorch the tubes? How close could I get? This year, it wasn't even reading on my hydrometer when I brought it inside.

Is this worthwhile? I have small kids and she-who-must-not-be-named is only mildly tolerant of my obsession... err....focus, and I'd love to cut my boiling time drastically.

Thanks,
~DK

Bucket Head
04-08-2012, 10:13 PM
It could be done, but it would be tricky- tricky enough to where I would reccomend getting it "close" and finishing it the way you are now. Why chance burning the batch after you boiled all day for it? You would have to ease up on the firing so it was'nt a vigorous boil, in an effort to prevent a boil over. How strong are you? You can pull the whole pan off full of syrup the minute it becomes syrup? Thats tricky too, as well as dangerous. Your going to try and do it quicky, which usually leads to some sort of accident. I would check it with a hydrometer to get it close, say low 60's and then take it in the house. Or get a turkey fryer-type set up for finishing outside. That way, fryer or stove, you can shut off the heat instantly when you have syrup.

michiganfarmer2
04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
what abuot connecting all the copper tubes together with a single drain?

I started out with my grandfather's 3x3 flat pan, then when I wanted to go bigger, I bought a 2x6 evaporator with a raised flue back pan. I have done many things that were time and labor intesive to save from buying a new peice of equipment. If you are set on spending the time and labor to building your own so you can save the cash, then spend the time conntecting all thhe copper tubes into one drain.

If it was me, and I was just gonna make some syrup for the family, Id stick with a simple flat pan. If however, like me, you want to someday expand into selling syrup, save up some money, and buy an evaporator.

Its just an idea. IM not tryign to be pushy.

mathprofdk
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tips!

@Bucket Head: Since it's gas, it's easy to turn off at a moment's notice, and even with the drop flues, I should be able to pick up the pan. It was no problem this year. There are some nice handles welded on, and I typically filter it into a big stock pot to take inside to finish. No problem.

@michiganfarmer2: What do you mean about the "single drain"? The flues I was thinking of are the copper ones that are just flared out and soldered to the pan. They stick down vertically into the firebox. So far, my cost has been very minimal, since my friend donated his time and much of the materials. If I ever get to the point where I have the whole neighborhood on board, and I have 50 taps, a real evaporator will likely be needed. Selling is tough where I live, maybe not even possible. And my plot is small, so finding a good place for a shack will be tough. Too much red tape!

~DK

PerryW
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
My gut feeling is that you can NOT get close to syrup using a flue pan of any size. Once you start getting anywhere near syrup a flue pan simply has too much surface area. You would have to throttle the fire down or there would be problems.

Also, the really tough-to-clean nitre forms when you get close to syrup and cleaning that stuff out of flues (especially drop tube flues) would be difficult.

I would just install the flue pan on your 2x2 arch and use it to remove 3/4 of the water then finish in the stock pot, or make a 2 compartment pan (one w/ flues and one flat).

gomish
04-13-2012, 01:22 PM
For you guys that use drop flue pans, as sap boils in the drop pockets, does syrup tend to collect in the pockets since it is heavier than sap? Or does it keep mixing with sap and move out to the other sections of the pan and on to the front pan. When you are done for the day, is concentrated syrup left in those drop flue section? If yes, how do you get it out? Seem like you would have to lift the flue pan and tip it over. I use a 1.5 X 3 flat bottom batch pan now.

wiam
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Syrup does not settle. If you are continuously feeding it will keep moving to the draw point.

Bucket Head
04-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Like Wiam said, it does'nt settle, and even if there was'nt a continuous feed, the boiling action by itself is a constant agitator.