PDA

View Full Version : wanted, used filter press

minnesota maple
04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I have a small hobby operation 60 taps or so, looking for a used hand or motor drivin filter press. I only produce about 5 to 6 gal of finished syrup a year so im looking for a low cost filter solution. currently using cone filters. any advise? thanks joe

04-07-2012, 05:35 AM
If want to buy a filter press post a wanted ad in the classifieds section but I don't see why you want to spend least 800 bucks on one when a lot of people who do more than that in one day dont have a press you are much better off using the cone filters or flat filters.

heus
04-07-2012, 07:31 AM
mm,
I have filtered almost 250 gallons the past three years through a flat filter. A filter press for 5-6 gallons is overkill.

Russell Lampron
04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Change over to flat filters. You get a lot of syrup through one before it clogs up. The one I used to use was 16" x 16". That would be too big for what you produce but you could probably build a smaller one that will do what you want it to better than the cones do. Even a 5" filter press would be too much for what you produce in one boil.

RustyBuckets
04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
If you want a filter press and a good one you can find one here. http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php?product=49&title=5-26quot-3b-hand-filter-press&cat=9 Daryl's presses have had nothing but great reviews from people who own one.

sirsapsalot
04-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey Thanks Rusty, I go over to sugarbush often and i guess i didn't notice the classifieds. I thought someone told me that his press was on the classifieds here. I almost went blind looking for it. Man its hard to follow the classifieds here not sure what i am looking at half the time with pictures of different stuff all over the place. I guess this place was made for people with younger eyes than mine.

adverdsmith
05-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Filter press is the most commonly used filtration equipment in industries today. There are different types of filter presses suitable for different types of process requirements.

heus
05-08-2012, 05:57 AM
They're making maple syrup in the U.K?