PDA

View Full Version : Trees are in trouble...

DonMcJr
04-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Just driving around today and all the trees that were green and getting leaves are turning red and brown from the past 3 nights of below freezing... Doesn't look good its gonna freeze tonight too.

Will the trees just re-bud or what?

heus
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, they are resilient.

RustyBuckets
04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Not good not good at all. It has been many years since the last time I seen this happen. The first time the following sugaring season the sugar content was the lowest I ever seen, and Im still sad to this day that I even tapped because I think the added stress of tapping them was the worst thing I did as I lost alot of trees that spring, alot never even budded again and just died. The second time I seen this I learned my lesson and never tapped the following year.

sirsapsalot
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I remember my dad telling me a story of a May here in the up that got really cold below freezing temps for a few days. All the trees were budded/leafing out and they turned yellow. The year following they had a real low almost no sugar content. The trees took years to recover and some did die.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Not good not good at all. It has been many years since the last time I seen this happen. The first time the following sugaring season the sugar content was the lowest I ever seen, and Im still sad to this day that I even tapped because I think the added stress of tapping them was the worst thing I did as I lost alot of trees that spring, alot never even budded again and just died. The second time I seen this I learned my lesson and never tapped the following year.

I've heard that the buds will grow back. This is unreal . Is it possiable this season could continue to get worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man If this happens I'm not selling any syup till next year.

DonMcJr
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I have a Thread going in the Sugarbush Management Forum about my 2 Good Trees...Check it out and follow it...If I lose these big trees I am gonna be very disappointed...

heus
04-07-2012, 07:29 AM
I think you guys are overreacting. Just think a tree that is 100 years old has probably been through several scenarios such as this. Will it affect our season next year who knows. Will it kill the trees I dont think so.

red maples
04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
100 I would say there are many many trees maples even well over 250 years old!!! I am sure they will be fine. just a wait and see

Revi
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I planted a bunch of small maples and they had just leafed out, followed by a hard freeze. The leaves got brown and crunchy and died. There were new leaves within a couple of weeks. These things are tough. They may have gotten fooled, but they will make it.

sirsapsalot
04-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I dont know we had the warmest march in 130 years of record keeping and the trees still look terrible. I dont think these trees have seen anything like this.

red maples
04-13-2012, 07:41 AM
my trees completely stalled when the normal temps came back. they have been holding on to the buds ever since. they popped and started to fall but stopped. and I now finally see little hints of green here and there. they seem to coming back to life.

michiganfarmer2
04-22-2012, 06:54 AM
our leaves are brown. I dont know what this is gonna do for sap production next year

DonMcJr
06-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Well the trees I was worried about are fine now!

red maples
06-18-2012, 07:15 AM
had a few that were slow to rebound but they actually re-budded. and all trees are doing great and there is now lots of new growth!!!

heus
06-18-2012, 07:30 AM
My trees, knock on wood, look really good so far.