PDA

View Full Version : english tin pans

spencer11
04-04-2012, 05:37 PM
i am looking at a 3x8 evaporator with english tin pans thats really cheap. is there anything wrong with english tin? what should i look for when i go look at it? i want to sell syrup to a friends cafe next year and sell from my sugar house, can i still do that with english tin pans or will they both need to be stainless?

spencer

kinalfarm
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Tin pans are fine. They have used them longer than stainless just more susceptible to scorching warping and don't last as long if you don't take care of them

spencer11
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
well thats good. i will probably end up swithing over in the next couple years to stainless, but if they will work for what i plan on doing ill try and check out the evaporator.

spencer

04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Tin pans are lead soldered so dont scrub the joints and I wouldn't use acid but some do I just wouldn't without checking the bottle also what do yo mean by cheap if you don't mind me asking the price cause I think the tin ones sully go for less also what is the flue pan four or five feet drop or raised good luck I too found a 3x8 I think I'm gonna get

spencer11
04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
this one is a grand and its a drop flue, with a five foot flue pan i think. what size evaporator do you have now? if i dont get this one i may be interested in yours if you are selling it.

spencer

04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Had a 18x54 that did 20 but I bet I could have gotten it up to thirty sorry though I did sell it but as long as the 3x8 you are looking at it is in good shape and doesn't leak I would buy it then save up and buy max pans that is what I would like to do eventually but I definitely think it is probably worth a grand

spencer11
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
there arnt any pics of it but i asked for some. he said the pans arnt great but that can be negotiated in the price.

spencer

04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Well if the pans aren't in that good of shape like rust or something you might be better of waiting and getting ss cause it would be a big disappointment if they leak and or your syrup gets a funny taste and then you you will be kicking yourself in the but cause I bet pans could be as much as almost decent used 3x8 like the one I am getting for 2000 plus a roll and a half of some real expensive silver solder.

jmayerl
04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I would be VERY leery of selling anything made in tin. With all the changes and enforcements coming I would ask your local inspector. Many places are not allowing it at all, or unless you do regular lead testing. Do yourself and your customers a favor and go to stainless.

spencer11
04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
its still early so i could pass on this one, but i will know alot more when i get pics. but i may just wait and get something later like a 2x6 or 2.5x8, or 3x8 if i can get one for a good price.

spencer