Hi - Can anyone out there tell me what I may expect for a boil rate for a
Mason 2x4 with flat pans? Thanks

04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
It says right on his website about 10gph

GramaCindy
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi - Can anyone out there tell me what I may expect for a boil rate for a
Mason 2x4 with flat pans? Thanks
I have a Mason 2x4, and last year with a very simple set up I boiled about 8 gallons per hour. This year, new shack, insulated the arch and then bricked. Added a small blower, and increased stack size to 20' or so. Also added a hood, although not quite big enough. I boiled 97 gallons on Saturday in 8 hours….12 gallons per hour! Seemed really efficient to me. LOVE IT!

jackhendri
04-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info GramaCindy! Sounds like you have a great setup. I'm contemplating a Mason 2x4 and just looking at all the angles. Thanks again.

adk1
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
how many tap do you expect to have and how long do you propose to boil for..those are the questions you need to ask yourself

jackhendri
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a Mason 2x4, and last year with a very simple set up I boiled about 8 gallons per hour. This year, new shack, insulated the arch and then bricked. Added a small blower, and increased stack size to 20' or so. Also added a hood, although not quite big enough. I boiled 97 gallons on Saturday in 8 hours….12 gallons per hour! Seemed really efficient to me. LOVE IT!

Hi GramaCindy - just wondering - how do you handle the finished product as its produced on your 2 x 4? Do you combine it all together and then filter it at the end of the day? Or do you filter and bottle as you go? What do you use for a filter? This will be my first year of not just doing batch runs and was just curious as to how others with a Mason 2x4 manage it.

Thanks

RickinFarmington
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I also have a Mason 2x4.5 raised flue and am very happy with it. Blower under the grates really makes a difference in boil rate as does good dry wood. I filter as it comes off the evaporator, then finish and filter once again before bottling. If you are looking for nice clear syrup, double filtering seems to work well.