PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter scouting

Maplewalnut
04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I am definitely in the market to lease a bigger bush for next year. I currently don't have a lead on anything that meets my expectations so I am considering taking a helicopter scouting trip when the sugar maples start to break bud. That greenish tinge should be evident from the air. I can GPS the location and then follow up by foot later on.

Anyone have any experience doing this, how did it work? Around here it is a short window while the suagrs are blooming and just before the oaks open.

Thanks
Mike

red maples
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Josh.....uh ....."Amber gold" did it last year...He said the maples were very easy to spot!!!

Amber Gold
04-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I did this last spring on a recommendation from a friend of mine. I did it for the same reasons and overall it worked great. The trees do stand out, unfortunately, I did it kind of late and it was harder to tell. It helped me to determine there are no large maple stands in the northern part of Barrington and the northeastern side of Strafford. I'm planning on doing another trip this spring to focus on another area near me which I'm pretty sure has maples. Last year, I didn't have a GPS...helicopter ride was last minute...so I used maps...GPS is much better.

Good luck.