PDA

View Full Version : Recalling Predictions about the 2012 Maple Season

PerryW
04-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Of course, with the low snowfall in my area and fairly mild winter, there were many predictions about how the 2012 season would pan out.

I guess the most common prediction I heard was that... "It's gonna start up quick and run like crazy because of the low snowpack."

This prediction seemed to be exactly wrong (in my area, anyway). While the season did end early (yesterday for me), there was much frustration by the producers who had perfect weather in late February and the first week of March, but the trees ran sluggishly at best. I nervously held off tapping and would rush home to check my neighbor's buckets only to see them empty or with only nuisance sap. I finally tapped around March 6, and still the good weather produced meager sap runs until things finally warmed up around Mar 11-12.

This probably would have been a good season for me with just one or two less 70 degree days. The weather has been perfect for sugaring over the current stretch of weather, but the trees are just slightly too far along to produce decent sap.

I guess my point is, You just can't predict the maple season. Good luck in 2013!

Butcher
04-04-2012, 07:11 AM
im in southern mi most of my 3000 tas were on silveur maplum andes with 27 inches of vacu
um and only got around 190Www00 gallons of sap talk about horrible.

Rugburn
04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
The old timer down the road told me he never taps until the second week of March, his woods are cold. Well, in our area many got going sooner and did better. I think you have to adapt quickly to weather like we experienced this year and throw the calender away. The old timer finally drilled holes a week earlier than usual and said he was sure glad he did. He made out OK. Most guys said they were between 2/3 and 3/4 their usual numbers in our area (Chenango county NY).

Butcher
04-04-2012, 07:50 AM
The problem with tapping a month early seems to be a daylight issue.by the time the tubing thaws its freezing back up,at least thats my experience,but were very flat here and there is always frozen sap in the line even on a wet dry,the bucket guys did well tapping early,not as much to thaw out I guess.