PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry barrel smell

davey
03-30-2006, 06:18 AM
I picked up two used 55 gallon Raspberry Concentrate plastic barrels from the Mott's Apple Juice factory near me. I rinsed them by filling them with water and some baking soda then knocking them over and rolling them up and down the driveway with one plug out as they drained to agitate them as they rained. I did this five different times. Problem is that it still transferred some of the flavor to the sap. Its actually pretty good and I made raspberry maple syrup that I will use but definitely can't sell. Does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate the raspberry flavor?

syrupmaker
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Tried soda ,steam cleaning Etc. Only way I have cleared up doughnut filling containers is to leave the garden hose stuffed in it with the water running cold for a bit. Not full tilt, but enough to keep a stream running to the floor drain.

Rick

Dropflue
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Dave,
I don’t think the smell will ever get out unless you filled them with dirt. Last year I bought about 50 buckets from a bakery that were used for pie fillings. I washed and scrubbed every bucket with a Clorox and a hot water solution, then rinsed with cold water. The odor went away when the buckets were wet, but was there after they dried. I never used the buckets, and just stored them in the barn. One year later, I checked a bucket. Guess what, still smelled like lemon pie filling.

davey
03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I think you're right. I found some liguid splenda barrels that had unflavored liquid sweetner in them I have been using and think my Raspberry barrles need to find a new career. Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Fill them up with water and a bunch of baking soda and let them sit in the sun a while. I have used pickle buckets for years and stored sap and hot syrup in them and they have never affected anything.