PDA

View Full Version : Generating more niter after filtering and boiling again??

Azitizz
04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I just made a 2 litre batch of syrup and after filtering and bottling it there was a floating sediment that eventually settled down and is white. I made the mistake of finishing it by using"cold syrup" reading on the hydrometer, using hot syrup. I had filtered it before it was finished (or perhaps it already was) and then continued to boil it on my stove until I came to the "cold syrup" reading then bottled it.

Ive made several batches this season without any trace of sediment using the very same filter, only probably not boiling it so much after filtering it. Simply heating it up again in order to bottle it hot to seal the jars.

Would boiling syrup beyond its finishing point generate more niter or sugar sand? Would it affect the taste much by adding water to get the required consistency?
Thanks all

Bucket Head
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes, boiling it again brings out more nitre. Actually, it will precipatate before reaching the boiling point, 192 or 193 degrees if I'm remembering correctly. Thats why reccomended bottling temperature is 180-190 degrees and no more. Adding water won't affect the taste, but the reboiling might. Due to faulty information and faulty thermometers, I made a lot of "almost syrup" thinking it was syrup. Reboiling was a pain. Its a lot easier making syrup a little "heavy' and thinning it a little with water. No reheating, no refiltering- no problems!

PerryW
04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I add water to virtually every batch of syrup I reheat and bottle. I put the syrup into 5 gal. jugs slightly heavy then adjust to the exact density when reheating by adding water.