PDA

View Full Version : Size for 120 taps?

Nodda Duma
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I finally got around to counting the number of tappable maple trees behind the house we just moved into, and I counted 120 trees I'll be able to tap for next year.

I figure I ought to get an evaporator. Question is, assuming "typical" sap yield, what size evaporator should I get?

Thanks,
Jason

spencer11
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
i would get a 2x4 or a 2x5 size and make sure you also have alot of storage for sap. im in hopkinton, let me know if you need help with anything i would love to help.

spencer

maplekid
04-02-2012, 07:29 PM
depending on your gathering method you could get upwards of 250-300 gallons of sap. a 2x6 with a flue pan would be more than big enough for your amount. plus it will give you wiggle room as you grow over the years. a 2x6 normally will do 18-25 gallons an hour. a 2x4 would hold you over but theres not alot of room for expansion. hope this helps,nate

Nodda Duma
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
i would get a 2x4 or a 2x5 size and make sure you also have alot of storage for sap. im in hopkinton, let me know if you need help with anything i would love to help.

spencer

I may take you up on that offer if I don't run across a local expert (I'm near Parker's maple barn tho)

I think the thing I'll need to figure out is how to get the sap collected efficiently. I had 22 buckets and don't think I'd want to hang 120 buckets and collect that much sap after getting home from work. My land is fairly flat so I just don't know if gravity fed tubing would work well. This is all new to me..my only saving grace is that I'm a quick learner.

Greenwich Maple Man
04-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I finally got around to counting the number of tappable maple trees behind the house we just moved into, and I counted 120 trees I'll be able to tap for next year.

I figure I ought to get an evaporator. Question is, assuming "typical" sap yield, what size evaporator should I get?

Thanks,
Jason

120 trees , or taps ? If you can get over two hundred taps I would go with a 2by6. That way you won't have many boils over five hours. Anything under 200 I would agree with Spencer. Just be sure to figure how many taps before your final purchase.

Nodda Duma
04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
120 trees , or taps ? If you can get over two hundred taps I would go with a 2by6. That way you won't have many boils over five hours. Anything under 200 I would agree with Spencer. Just be sure to figure how many taps before your final purchase.

Vast majority are between 10-20" dia, so maybe 130 taps tops.