PDA

View Full Version : Woods upgrades

Amber Gold
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm adding some more taps and a new mainline to my existing woods which should bring the woods to 750-800 taps total. I'm looking for some input on what should be done for the additional taps. See map here (http://sfc.smallfarmcentral.com/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/935/Sugarbush.jpg) of how my woods is laid out. The new 3/4" mainline for the new taps will run from Points C to D.

The current tap count is about 620 taps w/ a Lapierre single vertical releaser running 26" of vac. The wet/dry system runs from Points A to C on the map and is a 1" dry line over a 3/4" wet line at a 2% grade through most of its run. On good runs, the sap comes down the dry line, but no loss in vac. is seen in the woods.

Firstly, the releaser. Should the releaser be upgraded to the small horizontal that Lapierre sells. The single vertical is rated at 500-1200 taps, but I think when running high vac., it's really good for 5-600 taps...IMO. My thought is it would be too small at 800 taps, but looking for someone who's run that many taps on it to confirm this.

Secondly, how should I increase the size of the wet/dry system? With the additional taps, I think the system is adequately sized from points B to C...estimated at 425 taps after the expansion. I think it needs to be upgraded from Points A to B where it will have the 750-800 taps on it. Can I upgrade the wet line to 1", maintain the 1" dry line, and still maintain high vac. in the woods? Alternatively, I could drop the 1" dry line to become the wet line and upgrade the dry line to 1.25".

Thanks for the input.

wiam
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Until this year I have gotten over 400 gallons of syrup from about 1000 taps using a single vertical Lapierre. I believe it is big enough for what you need. I have about 1200' of 1" dry and wet line. My dealer told me 3/4 was big enough for wet but I had 1" so that is what I used.

SSFLLC
04-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Josh, You could also run a second dry line (1") above your existing dry line and then the first dry line will pickup the over flow. Pearl and son's run this type dry line system on there sugar bush. Keith

Amber Gold
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
William, thanks for the input on the releaser. I'm surprised it can handle that kind of flow. On heavy runs on 600 taps, I think last year it would dump every1-1.5min...never really had a good run like that this year.

Keith, so I'd have a primary wet line, a backup wetline, then a dedicated dry line...interesting. Actually, if I kept my releaser, keeping everything 1" or smaller would keep me from having to put a 1.25" tap into the releaser manifold.

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm adding some more taps and a new mainline to my existing woods which should bring the woods to 750-800 taps total. I'm looking for some input on what should be done for the additional taps. See map here (http://sfc.smallfarmcentral.com/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/935/Sugarbush.jpg) of how my woods is laid out. The new 3/4" mainline for the new taps will run from Points C to D.

The current tap count is about 620 taps w/ a Lapierre single vertical releaser running 26" of vac. The wet/dry system runs from Points A to C on the map and is a 1" dry line over a 3/4" wet line at a 2% grade through most of its run. On good runs, the sap comes down the dry line, but no loss in vac. is seen in the woods.

Firstly, the releaser. Should the releaser be upgraded to the small horizontal that Lapierre sells. The single vertical is rated at 500-1200 taps, but I think when running high vac., it's really good for 5-600 taps...IMO. My thought is it would be too small at 800 taps, but looking for someone who's run that many taps on it to confirm this.

Secondly, how should I increase the size of the wet/dry system? With the additional taps, I think the system is adequately sized from points B to C...estimated at 425 taps after the expansion. I think it needs to be upgraded from Points A to B where it will have the 750-800 taps on it. Can I upgrade the wet line to 1", maintain the 1" dry line, and still maintain high vac. in the woods? Alternatively, I could drop the 1" dry line to become the wet line and upgrade the dry line to 1.25".

Thanks for the input.Amber gold, Firstly, your lappierre single releaser will run 800 taps. I have a woods with 850 taps on the same releaser. Woods has had this realeaser on it since it was set up 4 years ago, and it handles it fine, even on big runs. Second, on the setup you have,I would run 1.25" wet line from points A to B, 1" wet line from B to C and leave 1" dry line. Running bigger wet lines will still leave you room in these pipes for vac. transfer on top of the sap, in addition to vac. transfer in dry line. On big runs when wet lines are running full, your dry line will still be free for vac. transfer to farthest taps in woods. We have had good luck doing this and on big runs when sap is running at its best, I have gone to farthest taps in woods to check vac. and is running same as at releaser with tight woods. Neil

ennismaple
04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree that the releaser should be fine. We ran 2 of them for the first time this year (we've had 2 double verticals for a number of years). The one woods had 700 taps and the single vertical releaser performed flawlessly all season.

Amber Gold
04-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the comments and I'll stick with what I have...better use putting the money elsewhere.