PDA

View Full Version : ceramic blanket

jake1
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
i just finish bricking my arch over 1" blanket and am a little concerned that the compression factor may degrade the insulation value of my blanket. will the weight of the brick really effect the insulation value or am i just being peranoid? any experienced advise would be greatly recieved, thanks!

lakeview maple
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I didnt brick over my blanket except in the fire box,boiled all season and it worked great.

jake1
04-01-2012, 10:53 PM
just seems like maybe you would get equal insulating values from just the non compressed blanket, compared to the compressed blanket with brick?

smokeyamber
04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
just seems like maybe you would get equal insulating values from just the non compressed blanket, compared to the compressed blanket with brick?

Insulating value yes, but the bricks are there also to protect the blanket when you chuck wood in firebox, as mentioned many do not brick the whole thing, just firebox and leave blanket uncovered where it won't be abused....

Looking forward to blanketing my setup as just bricks alone do not insulate...

adk1
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I added 2" thick ceramic to my entire arch before the season. I bricked the firebox. It worked awesome. Could hold my hand everywhere besides the front doors!

smokeyamber
10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi, just looking to see if 1" is sufficient or is 2" what is needed for good heat retention. I melted some stuff alongside my tight evaporator last season. Looking to make it a bit safer to be in the shack as well.

Feeback appreciated

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-05-2012, 06:35 PM
go at least 2", I'm going 3" this year with bricks in fire box and under flues so I can brush them with out ripping up blanket. I had only 1" with bricks last year in fire box and it was still a little hot. I would keep from compressing the blanket as much as possible