PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sauce?

DonMcJr
03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
So I went and bought some Apple Cider Syrup and Boiled Cider just to see what it was like...

I used the Boiled Cider for a "Shaker Apple Sauce"

4 cups boiled cider and 2 lbs of Apples peeled and sliced.

All it said was boil til apples were soft...

Well I have now added some of my Maple Syrup and put it in the blender so it looks like Apple Sauce.

It's ok but both sweet and tart...a pretty good tart punch!

So I have never made apple sauce or even looked how...

So Am I close and is there something to get rid of the Tart or was it just from the Boiled Cider I bought?

Kngowods
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Wen I make apple sauce we skin and core the apples enough to fill a crock pot we put some cinnamon and some sugar. Sugar takes away the bitterness so add as much as we need. Cook it all night or day makes the house smell great. That's what we do not sure if it's the right way but we like it. Time is usually limited so we sometimes have 3-4 crockpots cookin at a time cann it right from there. We also like it a Lil bitter

Cake O' Maple
03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Boiled cider is just concentrated cider, so should pack a higher sugar content punch. I'd agree withKngowods that it needs more sugar, if it's too tart for you.

I make applesauce w/ quartered whole, washed apples, some water and sugar. (I do take out the blossom end, 'cause I don't want it making it's way through the holes in the food mill.) Cook til softened, then put through a food mill to remove the skin and seeds, then freeze in can/freeze jars. I like the color, flavor and nutrients you get by cooking the skins.

Courtland apples make the prettiest pink applesauce if you don't overcook them. And talk about yummy! I only bought applesauce once after that, and couldn't stand eating it; gave it away.

Where, oh where, did you find Apple Cider Syrup? Was it made in Kansas? My dad lived there for awhile, and he would send me some syrup made at an orchard/farm near him, and it was phenomenal. I miss it.

DonMcJr
03-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks!

Here's where I found the Apple Cider Syrup>>>> http://woodscidermill.com/xcart/Products.html

Cake O' Maple
04-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the link, Don. That's not the apple cider I am looking for--theirs is a mixture of apple and maple. The apple cider syrup I had was just viscous apple cider, probably sweetened.

DonMcJr
04-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Beth what about their boiled apple cider (not the Syrup). I don't think it has maple in it. The maple stuff has a vicious apple flavor...very different but more apple than I cared for...

RollinsOrchards
04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The tartness will come from the variety of apple, both in the sauce and the syrup. If you use a sweeter variety like Golden Delicious you will have a sweet smooth sauce, While a Tart apple such as King David or Granny Smith will make a "sharp" sauce.

Your cider syrup will add a tart or acidic component as well.

I use a blend of apple varieties for sauce that changes throughout the season to make a good "full bodied" sauce. This is adjusted by taste, the same way my cider "recipe" progresses throughout the season depending on how different varieties taste.