PDA

View Full Version : Crystals in the bottom of my glass jars

hitnspit
03-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Ok for my first year i think we did ok but now i noticed that we have a bunch of crystals at the bottom. any help for nw=ext year will be very good.

Russell Lampron
03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
The density of your syrup is a little too heavy. Do you use a hydrometer to check density or do you rely on a thermometer? It is easier to get it right with a hydrometer.

Ausable
03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok for my first year i think we did ok but now i noticed that we have a bunch of crystals at the bottom. any help for nw=ext year will be very good.

Most of us - When we first make maple syrup - take it off too soon and it is a bit thin. You - my friend - boiled a little beyond the Maple Syrup stage and that is Sugar forming in the jar. LOL - I have done both. What I do now is - use a syrup hydrometer when finishing and I call it syrup the mark before the red line. That way - You can get it in your bottles and jars and not take it to far and still have a good product. No harm done - Your Syrup will still be good - But - If You were selling it You might get a - What the heck is that? from a customer.----Mike---

hitnspit
03-31-2012, 06:17 PM
well not bad for a rookie....... just glad its not going bad. i di us a hydrometer but still went to far.... hope we will get a longer season next year to practice.... Thanks for the replys.

Ausable
03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
You did good. I still make a lot of mistakes after fifteen years - but - most of the mistakes still taste good. You have a Season behind You - smile - You are no longer a Rookie. ---Mike----

sapman
04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
You can check the syrup with a hydrometer just before you bottle it. If you get a correction chart, you'll know where the reading should be at most any temperature. Knowing this, I still get crystalization some times.

oneoldsap
04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
If it's going to be off , overcooked is the lesser evil . It won't spoil and can be made right with a little water . There are steps that need to be taken to pack in glass , nailing the density is a big one .

adk1
04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I used a hydro and i still was getting heavy syrup. was trying to get it to the 66.9 brix as that is what my hydro is calibrated at. I made syrup at 72 brix, 71 brix etc. I just tell my customers that I make it slightly heavier and to expect crystals to form. everyone that has tried the syrup really likes it. one of thevery first things they says is "it isnt watery at all"....

220 maple
04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I know the digital testers are pretty expensive, just curious if they are very accurite? Can you test any temperture syrup on them? Would like to have one but concerned, are they worth the money?

Mark 220 Maple

PerryW
04-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I know the digital testers are pretty expensive, just curious if they are very accurite? Can you test any temperture syrup on them? Would like to have one but concerned, are they worth the money?
Mark 220 Maple

The hydrometer is the only way to go. More than 100 years of sugaring have proven that temperature is just a guide to know when to start checking density with a hydrometer. From what people have posted on this board who have bought the digital thermometers, they still end up with their syrup too thick or too thin. I'm guessing the extra decimal point in the digital thermometers is just for marketing.

slammer3364
04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Last year we also had crystals,just went a little to long.As I was surfing the net on different Sugarhouses a few of them actually brought it to your attenion they had crystals on the bottom of their jars,that it truly was exceptional syrup. We really enjoyed our syrup, so I dont think there is any problem unless you turn into sugar. LOts of luck and I hope we have many more seasons for this great Hobby

mc-vi
04-02-2012, 01:06 AM
We bought a digital refractometer this year. Something like over 300$. Seriously, after an hour, I put it back in the case and i never plan to use it again. It works fine when syrup is at 70° but over that, it is often offset by like 10 brix. Nothing to do with this in real sugarmaking world. Back to the thermometers. For the crystalization, if I remember correctly, it's starts happening at 68 brix, so you might be close. 68 is not so heavy....

adk1
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I like the heavier syrup. I tried to draw off using the hydro constantly and I found that when I tried to get t othat red line which would be the 66.9 brix at 60 degrees I was too heavy all the time. Didnt mind it though. could have made alot more syrup I would guess if Itook it off sooner but I would rather have heavier

jmayerl
04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Any of you guys that seem to have a problem seeing the red line on the hydrometer should remember that if you sell your syrup that most states require you to make syrup correctly. This also means syrup must be in a brix range(usually 1 brix above is the leeway). If you make it for yourself then it doesn't matter. Maybe you guys are using some really short hydrometers that are hard to see the lines on because the couple I haves are really easy to see the lines and finish to density.