PDA

View Full Version : first time making 'vinegar" syrup!

highlandcattle
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Ok, the end run can bring up some strange things.... but this is a first! We made vinegar smelling syrup! Not unpleasant, but no way I'm even tasting that one! Anyone else ever have this happen?! Revenge of the maple trees for the bad weather....

Brandy Brook Maple Farm
03-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Just another flavor on the maple wheel spectrum....that is what I love about maple production. You just never know what you are going to get from the draw off (luck of the draw? :lol:)....You also never know what is going to happen each and every day and, one of my personal favorites.....no matter how much you absorb, learn, observe, ascertain, and taste from this industry...you never fail to stop learning something new. Although this season has been somewhat disappointing, XOXOXO I still love maple XOXOXO!!!!

Joy

P.S. We are probably going to be drawing off our own unique flavor of maple syrup tonight after sweetening our pans with this latest run of fresh sap!

Galena
03-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Ooh vinegar, sounds yummy! Is there dill pickle and hot bbq in the works too? Maybe even sour cream and onion? ;-)

At this end, always had syrup that tastes like syrup, even if it sometimes resembles apricot jam (cloudy, light amber) or honey (clear light gold). Oh I lie, every so often I get black syrup - holy lifting, is that stuff ever dense!!! Last year I took out some jars to BC with me and my brother asked for a jar of black. Well, that suckah weighed about 1 1/2 times what the other jars of syrup did.

Brandy Brook, would be cool to hear what other flavours you've come across in your years of sugaring.