PDA

View Full Version : glad that i hung in there

patrick81
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
i thought the season was over with that warm weather but to day and yesterday ive had a great run best of the yr. yeasterdays sap was just a little cloudy and yellow but i checked it with my sap hyd. and it read 2%. :) and to days sap is as clear as a bell, im gonna run with it and have a boil tonight or tomorow, any one in the area that still into it is mor then welcome to come on by and injoy it. my trees up here have not even an 1/4 inch buds on them allmost cant see them. im so pumped to get in one more boil.where was this weather a couple weeks ago?

mooseman
04-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Same here in Springfield. Clear sap and tastes sweet. I collected 18 gallons out of 30 taps by noontime and it is flowing hard and fast. Boiling right now.

PerryW
04-01-2012, 08:23 PM
same here in northern NH. I have a 25 tap string of tubing that ran 60 gallons of clear sap in 1.5 days and another barrell that ran the best of the season today. Unfortunately, my big bush is lower elevation and slowing down.

Maple Ridge
04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I took all my tubing and buckets down two weeks ago. The sap in the buckets was so bad and stunk so much. I left a test bucket up to see what woud happen. Last night I checked it and it was full of clear sap, @ 1.5%. Only my reds had budded. I never thought this would happen. Looks like I lost out on the last part of the season.

RickinFarmington
04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Like everyone else, I thought the season was over after the hot weather, but alas, I got another four days of good clear sap last week. Then in one day it became cloudy and the next, stopped completely. Although I am down 40% from last year, the last spurt helped a lot.
Took everything down and in the cleanup process. My Mason 2x4.5 raised flue worked like a charm. Love the ease of draining and cleaning the flue pan. Can't wait for next year. Time for bee season.

abbott
04-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I never thought this would happen. Looks like I lost out on the last part of the season.

No, you probably didn't lose out. Those guys are just enough farther north that they were able to ride it out. Here in sumner, i left my taps in and tried boiling some sap on the stove when the sap cleared up again, but it had a buddy smell to it. The sugar maple buds had all swelled up, but not broken. Actually, they haven't progressed much since then.

For you folks in northern maine still boiling - i'm curious where you're at now compared to a typical year. I made about 75-80% of expected production. I'm guessing you're still well below average?

Revi
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I cleaned the evap today, and boiled off the last of the syrup we drew off a couple of weeks ago. I wore a dust mask, but I stlll looked like I came out of a coal mine after brushing the flues out.

It took 4 hours of steady work to get it done, but I'm glad it's over with now, until next year's pre-season cleanup.

MainelyMaple
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd be curious too. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that last week dole pond was at 50% and it seemed to be coming to an end. Dont know how reliable the information is.

gmcooper
04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Info I heard Thursday night is in Northwoods some are near 75% with some furthest north maybe better than that.
I did hear rumor that Jean Claude was not having a good time with the new evaporator.