PDA

View Full Version : Steamaway advantage

batsofbedlam
03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I have used a steamaway for the past 5 years and definitely saw an improvement in sap processing time and also a nice supply of hot water. This year I added a 600 GPH R.O. This has really changed the whole picture in regards to processing sap. It makes me consider selling the steamaway, as I can pretty much concentrate sap to any percentage I wish.
I am looking for feedback from anyone else that has done this. I'm reluctant to sell the steamaway and then realize that I should have kept it.
As an aside, the difference in noise level in the sugar house is a big motivating factor in selling it.

Russell Lampron
03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
You won't miss the steamaway. It will be one less thing to clean before, during and after the season. The efficiency gain of the steamaway can be made up for by concentrating your sap a little sweeter.

jimsudz
03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
How much for your steamaway? Would you recommend an steamaway or ro.

Greenwich Maple Man
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I have used a steamaway for the past 5 years and definitely saw an improvement in sap processing time and also a nice supply of hot water. This year I added a 600 GPH R.O. This has really changed the whole picture in regards to processing sap. It makes me consider selling the steamaway, as I can pretty much concentrate sap to any percentage I wish.
I am looking for feedback from anyone else that has done this. I'm reluctant to sell the steamaway and then realize that I should have kept it.
As an aside, the difference in noise level in the sugar house is a big motivating factor in selling it.

It make me nervous to here you say this. Myslef I would hang onto to it for atleast a few years. With any expansion you may then want it. You would realy kick yourslef if you decided later on you wanted one.You can't make it to fast.

batsofbedlam
03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
How much for your steamaway? Would you recommend an steamaway or ro.
Comparing a steamaway to an RO is like comparing apples to oranges. The steamaway will concentrate 2% sap to 3% or 4% sap. An RO will take 2% sap and concentrate it to 6% to 12% in one pass. Of course the RO costs 3X the steamaway.
I was happy with the steamaway without the RO, but now the RO has it all over the steamaway.
My steamaway is 5 years old; is 2 1/2 x 5, with 2 windows and a light inside. I am asking $4000.

sapman
03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Ummm...... I'd keep the Steamaway. I wouldn't have said this before going to Glenn Goodrich's seminar last spring. I've had one for 12 seasons. RO for 5. With the RO, I felt the same as you. But Glenn gave a lot of good reasons to have both. One of the best is how clean it keeps the flue pan, by taking the brunt of the sand buildup. And it's easy to clean. This year I just flooded it with permeate after about every boil, then run the blower a couple hours. Plus, it still keeps my rate at well over 100gph, instead of......I don't know, maybe 60-70? I'd hate to go backward. I do understand about the noise factor, though.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Why would you possibly sell a piece of equipment that increases your evaporation rate without the use of any additional energy, and that you already own?

Lets estimate your evaporation rate without a steamaway at 100 gph, with 75 gph occuring in the flue pan. It requires 970k btu's to change water from liquid state to vapor. Thats 72,750,000 btu's of energy being produced by your flue pan in the form of steam.

When steam is condensed, all 970k btu's/ lb is released as heat energy. If your steam-away is condensing even 60% of the flue pan steam that is 43,650,000 btu's per hour of heat energy being recycled for evaporation. No sense in giving up free evaporation.

As for saving the headache of cleaning another pan. We run ours dry every night, fill it with hot condensate, and leave the bubbler going all night. Pan litteraly cleans itself, no scrubbing.

Then there's the added bonus of hot water on tap for cleaning.

It's true, you could lose the steamaway and maintain your evaporation rate by concentrating higher, but an RO is an expensive machine so why would you work it more than necessary.

PerryFamily
03-30-2012, 06:44 AM
I have been thinking about this question as well. If your budget only allowed for one or the other, where would your money be best spent?

This is my situation. Most of the people in my area here say go for the RO. As far as cost I am looking at the JR or HOBBY size unit, so by the time you buy the support system and accessories for the steamaway the price should be comperable. I think?? I run a 2x6 with patriot pans, rough figures my evap rate was approx 40 GPH.

Jeff E
03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
If you can only afford 1 thing, an RO or a Steampan, go with the RO. Best bang for the buck.
If you can afford both, use both. As noted, there is a big effeciency gain with minimal effort required for steam pan.

The hot water is a big benefit in the sugarhouse. My evaporation rate on my 3x12 went from 100gph to 165, and sometimes up to 180. With no more wood!
So my RO take sap from 3% to 9% in one pass, with a concentrate output of 3gpm to keep up with the evaporator. The sap goes into the steampan at 50 deg, and comes out at 200, and up to 11% sugar.
That is a no-brainer to me. Keep the Steamaway.

You can always move the blower outside if the noise really bugs you. In my sugar house it is just one more thing running. (RO, vacuum pump, evaporator blower, sap pumps, filter press)

batsofbedlam
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Why would you possibly sell a piece of equipment that increases your evaporation rate without the use of any additional energy, and that you already own?

Lets estimate your evaporation rate without a steamaway at 100 gph, with 75 gph occuring in the flue pan. It requires 970k btu's to change water from liquid state to vapor. Thats 72,750,000 btu's of energy being produced by your flue pan in the form of steam.

When steam is condensed, all 970k btu's/ lb is released as heat energy. If your steam-away is condensing even 60% of the flue pan steam that is 43,650,000 btu's per hour of heat energy being recycled for evaporation. No sense in giving up free evaporation.

As for saving the headache of cleaning another pan. We run ours dry every night, fill it with hot condensate, and leave the bubbler going all night. Pan litteraly cleans itself, no scrubbing.

Then there's the added bonus of hot water on tap for cleaning.

It's true, you could lose the steamaway and maintain your evaporation rate by concentrating higher, but an RO is an expensive machine so why would you work it more than necessary.

You've made some great points. Thanks, all for your input.
The steamaway stays, noise or no noise.

Brent
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
We've got juat about the same rig as you ... 2-1/2 x 8 with a 150 / 180 GPH RO,

The RO cannot keep up with the evaporator so we have to give it a few hours head start.

With the Steamaway:
- I hate the noise. Going to move the blower outside next year.
- I love the hot water supply, like you told me a couple years back, a 5 gallon pail full about every 6 minutes.
- I hate not being able to see the flue pan
- I love how clean the flue pan stays, almost never any foam.
- Visitors don't like not seeing the action

But I have never seriously thought of taking it off. I'll upgrade the RO if anything.

sirsapsalot
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I have read this thread from the beginning and i wonder why you want to get into the vicious cycle of debt ? Myself i have 200 taps i make about 50 gallons of syrup i sell all of my dark first and force my friends and family to use the light tasteless crap i make at the beginning of the season. I have thought about expanding with a ro but than i thought who would buy all the light syrup i would produce ? none of my retail customers that's for sure. So now i would have to sell to a packer for 1/2 the price and still force my family to eat light tasteless crap. Than quadruple my taps to make the same money as i did before or maybe not. To me it sounds like a never ending upgrade battle i wouldn't want to fight. Give me a steamaway and i would add 50 % more taps and make some **** good tasting syrup that my RETAIL customer will buy for many years to come.

upsmapleman
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I had a Steamaway before a Ro. If I would of had a RO. 1st I would not have gotten a Steamaway. But since I have it I use both. Love all the hot water to clean with. Moved the blower outside and had a friend cut 3 holes 2 on one side 1 for a window and 1 for a door so I can get in to pressure wash during season, 1 on opposite side for a door for cleaning and to access light. If it is paid for and you do not need the money I would keep it.

mtnmeadowmplfarm
03-31-2012, 05:08 AM
My Steamaway has windows and a light that allow you to see the flue pan easily. Also came with a jack on all four corners that allow me to easily lift it off the flue pan for cleaning.

We also mounted the blower outside. Like someone already said though, just another noise, oil guns, pumps, press.