PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning evaporator

wkies
03-29-2006, 01:40 PM
My season in Southern Connecticut has come to an end (avergae season - I made around 60 gallons of mostly dark A). I usually clean the evapotator with acid but only let it soak for a short while (hour or so). I was talking to some poeple during the VT Maple open house weekend (GREAT EVENT - I learned so much) and they said to soak it over night.

My question is: Do I bring it up to a big boil before I add my acid and then let it soak over night? What is the process? Thanks.

mapleman3
03-29-2006, 02:24 PM
if you didn't buy the acid yet.. try vineger first.. warm it up a bit with the water in the evap, my 2x6 I used a gallon in each pan(2 gallons) I left it for a few hours.. this time I will leave it over night... that will be in a month or two.. I'm letting sap sit in for ha ha's to see how that works too

maplehound
03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I ussually use the acid. I fill my pans to the brim with water then add the acid. get it well mixed in and then light a large fire in the evaporatore and leave the building. The fumes can be unbareable if your building is tight. Most manufactures sugest to warm the water and not to boil it.
Ron

sweetwoodmaple
03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Lemon Juice works too, but is more expensive. I use a thin coat of juice in between boils to loosen the sugar sand. Not as big of a deal if a little lemon residual is in the syrup.

Brian

VA maple guy
03-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Jim, I'm doing the same thing you are doing with your pans, I'm about three weeks ahead of you, I'll let you know how it works when I end my experiment. :D
Gerry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I bought 4 gallon of vinegar and I am going to try it this year. I will simmer it a little while and then scrub it out. Per mapleman3, I hope it works. Don't want to do it twice. :lol: