PDA

View Full Version : NH Homestead License

Amber Gold
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
For the NHerites in the site. I asked the NH Dept. Ag. about making products with ingredients other than maple...maple coated nuts for example. Anything made with just maple, we're good and don't need any other licensing, but if any other ingredient is added to the maple, you need to be licensed...confirmed what I knew. So I have some ideas for other products I want to make and found out NH has a Homestead Licensing program for people just like us. More information can be found here. Cheap at $50 (I'm only selling these products from the SH) and allows us to do what we need with minimal requirements.

Hopefully other states have a similar program.

red maples
03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
I did look into the homestead license myself. The requirments aren't too bad. I would love to be able to sell other things...Well Legally anyway. fudge nuts jams jellies etc made by me. I do sell nuts on maple weekend but figured they would be OK since the only ingredients are nuts and syrup and what ever was on the nuts.

From what I heard its a little more than just $50 and your done. I actually have a friend that does it and she said you need to submit recipes, they will take samples to test for bacteria make sure you doing stuff right, which you have to pay lab fees, you have to get your water checked to make sure thats OK, which you have to pay for as well. So it is a little more than $50. They will come out to yoour house and inspect it. to make sure everything is OK.

There are a few things that I believe are listed on the website that homesteaders are exempt from that restaurants are not and there certain things you can'tmake and with a simple homestead license that you have to have a full on inspected commercial kitchen.

But if your just doing things for maple...mustard, BBQ sauce, fudge nuts etc. then yeah its a good idea!!! someday I'll get one!!! When I get to that point I guess.

Amber Gold
03-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Do they need to test everything you make? Do you submit the recipe, or the actual product? Do you need an annual water test?

Another idea I had is I supply a few restaurants with syrup. I was considering talking to one of them about using their kitchen to make a few items.

Legally, you need a license to make maple coated nuts.

red maples
03-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah I know about the nuts. I think the water is just a one time thing that needs to be done within a certain time of your application by a 3rd party I think its within 6 months of your application.

I think you have to submit a recipe but I am not sure. I think you also have to record your batches so they will take maybe 1 sample for a particular batch. don't quote me on that. here is the stupid thing which happened to my friend she is a little older and owns part of an old blueberry orchard anyway. if a batch doesn't pass inpection for a particular reason usually bactieria count they have the right to tell you to dump it or can confiscate(sp?) it she told me she had a batch of blueberry jam, talking 4-5 gallons she said it was all finished in jars labels etc. I guess they did the check and the bacteria count was too high they confiscated the whole thing!!!! so she said anyway!!! Now I don't know all the specifics they do have it listed I might have a link somewhere. I'll see what I can find and post it.

red maples
03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Here's the link with the basic guidelines
http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/fp/sanitation/homestead.htm