PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise metal shop(Topeka,IN.)

SPILEDRIVER
03-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Anyone have there equipment? or dealt with them??? just got off the phone with them and got some real reasonable quotes and delivery times.im looking into there "Spitfire" hobby pans and there filter/canning units,anyone got them???? thanks.

tuckermtn
03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
never dealt with them, but I have their catalog currently in circulation in my bathroom...

Nice looking stuff. Sanitary fittings and all...not shiny, just functional. Also like their two-piece arches.

SPILEDRIVER
03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
yes i have there catalog as well........im much more into functional than nice and shiney.....i noticed there arch as well but im building my own im just buying the pan

grimmreaper
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I ordered some stuff from them.they are very nice to deal with & I ordered my stuff,they shipped out the item before I even payed them

Kngowods
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Do they have a web site?? I couldn't find one?

SPILEDRIVER
03-27-2012, 09:27 PM
they do not have a website......which is to bad because there catalog is full of some really nice equipment and the prices he gave me today are fantastic in comparrison to others ive contacted

Bucket Head
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
They have had equipment on display at the Verona N.Y. maple conference the last two years. Its well made stuff. Nice TIG welding on them. They use 20ga. stainless.

seclark
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
How do you get their catalog?Anyone have a phone number?

mountain man maple
03-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have contact info for this shop?

SPILEDRIVER
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
sunrise metal shop
3070 w 350 s
topeka,in.46571
(260)-463-4026

Indiana-Jones
03-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi, I have a 24X60 that I bought from Sunrise for this season. It was to be a one piece combo pan, 24" syrup and a 36" with 10 5" drop flues. I paid a little more and had it made in two pans and added more dividers to make a 4 channel syrup pan. In as far as quality of the pan I think that it is great, but I really don't know much about other manufactures. I also ordered a a preheater tank 24X12X14 tall. It has double duty, I use it for a finisher on bottling day.

They don't nickel and dime you there, they supplied me with all of the valves, gasket and such that I needed to get started, include in their price. They do seem a bit less expensive on taps, bags and all around on supplies.

The thing that I didn't like was their bag holders. I ordered 25 and they work OK , but the bags aren't gripped as well as the bag holders that I have from a different manufacture. I ended up using clothes pins to try and keep the wind from blowing the bags off.

They are Mennonite or Amish and their telephone is outside in a small phone house. So most of the time when you call you get a recording and must leave a message. They call back quickly and in busy season there is usually a someone in the phone house.

All in all a good bunch of people to deal with.

SPILEDRIVER
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
enjoyed your album indy,nice looking evap/arch,what kind of boil rate are you getting?im getting either a 2x5 or 2x6 with 8 inch drops,how much extra did he charge you for getting 2 seperate pans instead of a single pan unit?

Indiana-Jones
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
We are getting 25 gph really easy, if we split the wood small and are all warmed up we can get more. With this screwy weather I couldn't get enough sap for a long run. Get her all hot and bothered and had to stutter down.

Sunrise charged $240.00 to make their combo pan in two pieces and add 2 dividers to the syrup end, making it a four channel job. Things that I would change?? I would like to have had a way to bolt or fasten the two pans together tightly before hooking the interconnecting tubing up. Weld a 2" strip of stainless across the bottom of the front of the flue pan, so the syrup pan sets on it. If they fit together this way you wouldn't need to try to put a gasket between them.

I'm planning a sugar shack this year and one of the things that I would like to do is rig a winch and pulley system to to raise the pans off of the arch, all in one piece. This way I can boil and race all of the way to the end, raise them up, put plate on the fire and be done. If they bolted together this would be easy.

68bird
04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I just got their catalog today. Nice looking rigs, but no price sheet. The note they put on a post it said to call for price.I'd rather not play that game. Plus for me they are in Indiana, I would have to drive out, or pay a ton for shipping. I'd rather buy local. Bill Mason seems the way to go.