PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running Busch pumps?

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Was wondering what kind of luck people were having with busch pumps. Setting up a new sugarbush next year and trying to decide what pump to use. We currently run 3 airablo vane pumps and 1 A 20 liquid ring pump. I know there are pros and cons to every pump, just wondering about this one(recovery on leaks, problems, cost, etc.)

sapman
03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Overall I'm very happy with mine. I still wonder about the recovery from leaks. I'll defer to the experts, and would like to hear what they say myself. I wonder if my leak issues would have been a lot better if I'd gone with the next size up model. But in all fairness, I wasn't able to do leak patrol as much as necessary early in the season. The only tricky part I had was setting the VFD up. Electricians did most of it, but I still had to figure out some. Never did get the transducer wired in.

The price is actually competitive with other systems, especially if you shop around. But tech support would be nice.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Overall I'm very happy with mine. I still wonder about the recovery from leaks. I'll defer to the experts, and would like to hear what they say myself. I wonder if my leak issues would have been a lot better if I'd gone with the next size up model. But in all fairness, I wasn't able to do leak patrol as much as necessary early in the season. The only tricky part I had was setting the VFD up. Electricians did most of it, but I still had to figure out some. Never did get the transducer wired in.

The price is actually competitive with other systems, especially if you shop around. But tech support would be nice.Yeah, tech support would be nice for alot of things in this business. It seems like most things are learned by trial and error. Tim, how big is your pump? How many taps do you run off it? How many inches do you maintain?

maplecrest
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
i was running a 10 hp nash liquid ring. this year i ran a 5 hp busch pump on same taps. is a deep vac that takes time to get there. not as fast as the liquid ring to get the high vac thru the hole system. but once it is there it holds well. pulling taps now and most of my spouts are black and were not seated tight any more and my vac level was still 25 inches at the releaser when i headed this morning.

brookledge
03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I put in a 5 HP Nash this yr with a VSD. The drive converted it to 3 phase.The transducer worked fine. Max RPM was programed at 1800 and drew 25-26 amps @220volts. The low rpms was programed at 1150 RPM. I maintained 27"Hg at 1150 RPM and it drew 15 amps. I replaced 2 dairy vac. pumps with the Nash pump. I had to install 1900' of 1 1/4" but that was a drop in the bucket compared to buying another pump. I had no problem with 1200 taps maintaing the lowest speed and only drawing 15 Amps. Basicly I increased my vacuum by about 10" and yet I reduced the amount of electricity I used since I only ran one
Very happy I did it.
Another thing that is nice is I was able to imediately tell if i ever had a leak in my system. Without the VSD before I would never know unless it was a major leak
Keith

sapman
03-27-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a 3 hp/2.2kw 30cfm, and almost 2200 taps. Once we had walked most of the lines, we kept about 24"+. But I was late in getting to some sections, so it should've been higher. After the spouts would loosen some, we'd drop a couple inches.