PDA

View Full Version : new sap trailer

Longyearfarm
03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
5696Hello all. I just finished(with the exception of painting) building my new trailer for my 275 gallon tank. I got the axle and wheels from my cattle squeeze chute which is now permanently set. The lumber is all white pine that we had milled years ago. The tongue was rescued from our scrap yard. I had the screws and bolts. The tank was a gift from a friend who is moving and has no need for it any more. Total cost is $0, if you don't figure your time of course. I won't be going on the road with this, so I'm not to worried about lights. My plan is to be able to use this in the woods on our farm next year. I was able to acquire quite a few maples from adjoing properies that I can run tubing to a tank, and then pump into this. What does everyone think? Any suggestions?
Matt

maple flats
03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
What are you pulling it with? That tank full weighs 2000#+. If the weight isn't an issue you should be good. Remember the mud most years makes hauling a mess most years.

Longyearfarm
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm going to use my f250 to pull this around through the woods. I would've rather used the mule to pull it, but a full tank is 2,200 lbs, so thats not going to happen.

RollinsOrchards
03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
The only suggestion I would make is to place the tank closer to the truck on that platform. You need weight on the driving wheels of the truck/tractor to provide traction, while the wheels on the cart are going to drag in muddy or snowy conditions.

Personally I would move the axle right to the rear of the platform so that half of your weight is on the truck, half on the trailer axle.

I have also found that there is no single right way to gather and haul sap. I use a similar setup behind my 40 horse 2wheel drive farm tractor. Most days it is slick and the easiest way to gather. Some days are a challenge and I wish I had alternatives. A lot of days I dream of getting it all set up on vacuum pipeline and not having to get a full tank back up a slippery hill out of the woods.

79Binder
03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
If you're pulling it with a pickup truck, my guess is you have it all wether trail in the woodlot. Around here mud is generally the problem. If I were building this for my woodlot I would need a lot more ground clearance, and perhaps even make it a tandem axle for more flotation. One more thing I would consider is a 2 x 2 rail mounted to the floor on all sides of the tank, except for the outlet, to prevent it from slipping around on the trailer if you get sloshing, or on a steep sided hill.

Longyearfarm
03-26-2012, 07:55 AM
79Binder, I have an old logging road thats winds throughout my woodlot. The old road stays dry enough that my pickup rarely sees 4WD. I really don't think that clearance is much of a concern for me. I do like your idea of having railings on 3 sides of the tank. There aren't any steep hills to climb/descend, but still a great safety feature
Matt