PDA

View Full Version : making new pans

spencer11
03-24-2012, 03:41 PM
im am going to be making pans for a 2x6 im building. a 2x2 syrup pan and a 2x4 V bottom flue pan. how deep should each pan be? and how can i make a preheater? the V bottom flue pan will have 6-V's that are 6" deep and 3" across at the top. and then in the middle 1-V that is 6" deep and 2" across.(reason for different size is that it would be to wide if i did another 3" wide one) and then 1 divider in the flue pan. and 2 divider in the syrup pan. which will run side to side in the pan and not back to front. think it will work? thanks

spencer

spencer11
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
anyone?? looking for pan depths and how to make a preheater for it. any ideas?

spencer

smokeyamber
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
On the front pan I was advised to go with 3 dividers, making 6" channels with plugs or sliders to isolate them. Lets you make smaller draws is what I was told. Sides of the flue pan should be tall, I made mine 10", but others go much taller like 12-14". My syrup pan only goes 6 inches, which could be an issue if I ever finish on the evap since a foaming will quickly go over the sides. I would go 8 inches min if you can. Keep in mind I figured my sizes to use one 4x8 sheet for the pans and to reduce my cutting since I was using a sabre saw, not a plasma cutter or sheet metal shear.

I will let others comment on preheaters since I don't have one and plan on going the route of wrapping copper around the stack, no room in my shack for a hood anyway.

Have fun and hope for better run next year !

seclark
03-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Spencer, what kind of setup do you have,home made or what?I have a 55 gallon barrel evaporator that I made a pre heater for and it works fine.The flame from the fire hits the bottom of a stainless pan before exiting the stack and the sap gets quite hot before it enters the syrup pan.If you have a hood there are many ideas on this site for pre heaters using copper pipe.

spencer11
03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
thanks, that gets me started. i was thinking about 10" on the syrup pan since i do plan to finish and 12" on he flue pan but wasent sure if i could got with less or needed more. i plan to add a hood in a year or 2, can i make a copper preheater that will work with my hood but just sit on the pans for now? and how will i drain the condesation on the pipes from the steam? and this whole setup will be homemade.

spencer