PDA

View Full Version : what type of float?

spencer11
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
im making a a new evaporator this summer and i need a float for the raw sap entering the flue pan and the hot sap going from the flue pan to the syrup pan. what type of floats should i use? and where do i get them and all the float valves and all that stuff? i saw them at bascoms but i dont know know how t match all the stuff up. thanks

spencer

03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
If you do a search a guy made one from a cooper t are you making a raised cause a drop flue you olny need one float

spencer11
03-23-2012, 05:16 PM
if your talking about one made from a steam pan i have seen that one...i just dont know if it would be practical for me, but then again it might be. as of yesterday(may change tomorrow) i am planning on making a V bottom pan.(so like drop flues). si i would only need a raw sap float correct? thanks

spencer

smokeyamber
03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Do a search on here, you can order a float valve and then just use a regular copper toilet float ( new of course ). You will need a float box on the outside of the pans for both. The external box is good cause it is isolated from the boiling sap that can mess up the feed rates. I will be adding one on my rear pan this next season. Not sure on the front/back box, but I can see where running the flue lower than the syrup would be userfull even if it's not a raised flue setup.

spencer11
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
i have looked at bascoms for a float valve but havent come up with much...and is there a way that i could use a stainless float(like bascoms sells)with a toulet bowl regulator/valve for the back pan? thanks

spencer

smokeyamber
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
i have looked at bascoms for a float valve but havent come up with much...and is there a way that i could use a stainless float(like bascoms sells)with a toulet bowl regulator/valve for the back pan? thanks

spencer

How about this ... http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=36897049&PMPXNO=1879925&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

along with a regular round float and you are all set. Setting depth may be a bit crude, but should work fine one you dial it in...

spencer11
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
i cant quite seem to figure out how that one works...does the float somehow move the arm on the lower right? thanks for the help.

spencer

smokeyamber
03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't have one, but I believe the float is on the left and as it moves up and down it moves the piston on the top so it slides in and out controlling the fluid flow.

spencer11
03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
it might work. if i dont find anything else that would work better i will go with this. thanks

spencer