PDA

View Full Version : Some Vacuum Questions...

DonMcJr
03-23-2012, 03:21 AM
First is there any articles online anywhere on how to set up a vacuum system?

I'm a pipefitter by trade and my dad is Refridgeration and Heating/cooling so between us I'm thinking we could figure something out. But I haven't found much info about it.

I'm only poking at about 20 taps I can put on Vacuum so I don't want to spend a lot but after taking a walk through my woods in a few weeks if that's all the maples I have then I may spend the money to get more SAP...

Anyhow where is something I can read in detail on what a vacuum system consists of?

ennismaple
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
The most basic vacuum system I've heard of on this forum is some form of a blower (I think the guy used a shop vac) connected to a 55 gallon steel drum. The blower put the drum under low vacuum and the mainlines or laterals connected to the drum.

Some guys use sap suckers for vacuum but I don't have any experience with them. A search of this site should help.

Some guys use Bender milk releasers. This would likely be the best for a setup like yours. Again - search here and you'll find something.

The next step up is some form of Zero milk tank. You can get a Surge or DeLaval vacuum pump (about 20" Hg max), connect it to the Zero tank and it puts vacuum on the entire tank. The mainlines connect to the tank and the sap gets sucked back through the lines.

After that you're looking at flood oil or liquid ring or dry ring pumps that pull 25" Hg or more, releasers (mechanical or electrical) and open top tanks.

Take a field trip to someone's sugar bush near you. It's really logical and not that complicated once you see it all in action!

DonMcJr
03-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok thanks that's a start... Anyone know of a Sugarbush in the SE Michigan Area that runs Vacuum?

highlandcattle
03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
There is tons of info on this site. But you really need to go visit a set up system. That's how we did it. Just ask, most every one will be very happy to help you. It's a big experiment! We use an old Surge Alamo dairy pump and a gas engine from Indiana Vacuum. Because we are so small, it's not worth the money to invest in a standard unit. So you sound bright, once you see it, you will be able to do it, we did! yes, the shop vac works, Our pump blew the only day of a good run and we hooked up the shop vac, had to. Not great, but it worked, just too far a run from our woods though. You'll be fine.

DonMcJr
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
It may be too expensive for next year unless I can find a good deal...

But I am looking into it just incase...

I might wanna see how much sap I get on a normal year with the 30+ Taps I'll have next year first before I end up having way too much sap if that's even possible...

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Ok thanks that's a start... Anyone know of a Sugarbush in the SE Michigan Area that runs Vacuum?

i have capac mi
Rich

DonMcJr
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Howdy Rich! Do you still have your Taps in and vacuum running?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Howdy Rich! Do you still have your Taps in and vacuum running?
no Don i was done on the 13 of March and got everything cleaned up this past wednesday, but if you would like to see my vac system it is available

DonMcJr
03-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I think I am gonna try one more season of Gravity with more buckets and then see about vacuum...So maybe next year when you have it actually running I could come by and check it out?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I think I am gonna try one more season of Gravity with more buckets and then see about vacuum...So maybe next year when you have it actually running I could come by and check it out?
no problem let me know when you are ready to take a look