PDA

View Full Version : Looking for experience hanging tubing

Vermonner
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Hello everyone
I searched the forum for something like this and didn't find anything. Apologies to the mods if this is out of bounds.

I am looking to get some experience hanging tubing. I got the maple bug last year and this year I worked with a crew and tapped and boiled and will go pull taps, but their bush is all tubed and the tubing is only in it's second year. I am working toward leasing a bush and I was wondering if anyone has a tubing job coming up and could use some help? I don't see the sense in trying to set up an operation w/o at least a little experience in all aspects of sugaring. My thought was that it would look like this: I have a full time job and can take some vacation to help out for a week or two? Likely May? Admittedly, I don't have any experience, but have a brain in my head, tend not to repeat mistakes and am teachable. Anyway, if you think you'd like to show a new guy something about tubing, I'm interested in learning what I can. Feel free to PM with info.

mapleack
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Someone should gladly take up your offer to help, I know I would! Good luck!

sjdoyon
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
You might want to take a ride down to Dakin and let them know what you're willing to do. They buy from some of the bigger operations in the state and might know an outfit getting ready to expand or change out some tubing. You also might check in with Leader, we hired them to GPS and flag out our land so we knew where to run our tubing.

GeneralStark
03-22-2012, 08:10 PM
I will be doing some setup in the fall, but would be happy to walk you through my woods any time.

Vermonner
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the clues, everyone. Things I hadn't though of.

ennismaple
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
That sounds like cheating! How can you appreciate doing it the right way if you don't do it the wrong way first? I can't count how many times I've looked at a section of woods a few years after its set up and said to myself - "I should have done that differently, that's wrong, why did I do that...". I've got a loooong list of things I want to do to "fix" our woods because I'm not 100% happy with mainline layout, lateral line lengths, tap counts etc...

Just kidding - doing your research will pay off and you'll be happy you spent the time to learn from others. I'm sure there are lots of people near you who'd be happy to get some free labour and show you the ropes.

Vermonner
03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
That sounds like cheating! How can you appreciate doing it the right way if you don't do it the wrong way first? I can't count how many times I've looked at a section of woods a few years after its set up and said to myself - "I should have done that differently, that's wrong, why did I do that...". I've got a loooong list of things I want to do to "fix" our woods because I'm not 100% happy with mainline layout, lateral line lengths, tap counts etc...

Just kidding - doing your research will pay off and you'll be happy you spent the time to learn from others. I'm sure there are lots of people near you who'd be happy to get some free labour and show you the ropes.

I expect I'll still make my share (or more) of mistakes when the time comes, I have no doubt about that....

220 maple
03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Vermonner,
You need to take in a tubing seminar, call Leader and ask for Bradley and find out where his next seminar is near you. Trust me he will let you do hands on during the seminar. You will learn a lot about setting the tubing up correctly.

Mark 220 Maple

Vermonner
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Vermonner,
You need to take in a tubing seminar, call Leader and ask for Bradley and find out where his next seminar is near you. Trust me he will let you do hands on during the seminar. You will learn a lot about setting the tubing up correctly.

Mark 220 Maple
Thanks for the clue. I did that last fall at WH supply, less hands on, but an excellent demo from Matt. Will f/u with Bradley at Leader.