PDA

View Full Version : We began tapping March 18, 2012

DonnaB
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Hi, We are newbies for processing maple syrup (this is our 2nd year). We have 60 trees. We started tapping Sunday, March 18, 2012 and obtained 7+ gallons. Yesterday we collected 10+ gallons.
It is a mystery to me how to use the hydrometer and cup which we purchased at L&M in Grand Rapids, MN. The hydrometer does float--the whole tube sits in the center of the metal cup but does not float up to any line. Why? Our temp. reading is 218 degrees F and it is supposed to be the temp. to finish it off, right?

happy thoughts
03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Our temp. reading is 218 degrees F and it is supposed to be the temp. to finish it off, right?

No. You need to test your thermometer to see what it reads when water comes to a rolling boil. Boiling point varies by barometric pressure and your thermometer may also be inaccurate. Add 7.2*F to whatever temp your thermometer reads for the boiling point of water.

At the current pressure of 30.13 for Wirt MN the boiling point of water is 212.351. If your thermometer is accurate then you need to add 7.2 to that and boil to at least 219.5 until you're close to syrup.

Barometric pressure was taken from a weather site. A boiling point calculator can be found here: http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

Or just calibrate your thermometer against boiling water and work from there. The temp is just a starting point for when you should look for proper density. But if you only boiled to 218 you probably have a bit more to boil off.

PerryW
03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
If you fill the cup with HOT syrup up all the way and slowly lower the hydrometer into the cup and is sinks all the way to the bottom (does not float), you have more boiling to do. Keep checking frequently, and eventually the hydrometer will start floating higher and higher. When the RED line is JUST visible, it's syrup.

At this point, take a reading of your thermometer. Next time you boil, your syrup will come off within a degree or so of this temperature. (it depends on barometric pressure)

smokeyamber
03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Used a hydrometer for the first time this year... finished temp was 220, higher than I thought, but my finisher ( wife ) predicted it spot on with sheeting so that is what we used. Nice to have confirmation and the syrup sure was tasty this morning on french toast :D Keep the butter or canoala oil nearby though cause that foaming will make a mess !

Scott O
03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Forecast changed for the better (for sap run anyway). Had a couple of good runs the last couple of days, and the guess for tonight is 30 degrees. Hopefully that will help get one more run tomorrow. What about anyone else in MN??

Ausable
03-24-2012, 08:39 PM
A little thing I learned the hard way. You can make great Maple Syrup with just a Syrup Hydrometer and no thermometer. But it is hard to do it the other way around. It is very hard to find any two thermometers that agree. I just use a thermometer to let me know when I'm getting in the ball park. But I use a Syrup Hydrometer and Test Cup when getting close to Syrup. A Question DonnaB - Why are You tapping so late in the year? Have You had below freezing weather during the day up to 18 March? Is Wirt on the Border with Canada? --Just Curious and Hope You make lots of good Maple Syrup ---Mike---

Ausable
03-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi, We are newbies for processing maple syrup (this is our 2nd year). We have 60 trees. We started tapping Sunday, March 18, 2012 and obtained 7+ gallons. Yesterday we collected 10+ gallons.
It is a mystery to me how to use the hydrometer and cup which we purchased at L&M in Grand Rapids, MN. The hydrometer does float--the whole tube sits in the center of the metal cup but does not float up to any line. Why? Our temp. reading is 218 degrees F and it is supposed to be the temp. to finish it off, right?

DonnaB - As already advised on another post - Fill Your test cup almost to the top and slowly lower your hydrometer into it. If the Hydrometer sits on the bottom you have more boiling to do. As You get closer to the syrup stage your bubbles will get larger and shiny. So you test Your almost syrup and your hydrometer starts to float a little - now you have to start watching things close - cause it will start changing quickly and you should test more often. Usually I call it syrup the line before the red line cause if you go beyond the red line you are starting to go into the sugar stage and it can form in your jars or bottles with the syrup when canned. As you make syrup a few times it is no big deal using a syrup hydrometer - It is a great tool and helps in making good Maple Syrup. Always trust you hydrometer - a thermometer is another story......Mike--

chandler37
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
What about "budding" I am farther north Boyne area and my maple budded on the 16th. We could taste it in the sap. Short short season