PDA

View Full Version : New Pans

Super Sapper
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I have the oportunity to have a couple pans made for just the price of material. I am looking at building a 2 X 6 evaporator and was looking at a 2 X 4 flat pan and a 2 X 2 syrup pan. The guy building them just needs some dimensions. I am looking at doing around 50 to 60 taps next year so i was thinking of a flat pan that I can add drop tubes later when I need more production. How deep should each pan be and where should I have the valve ports located? I was figuring on 2 dividers in the syrup pan. Any input on how the pans should be built would be appreciated.

Thiems sugarshack
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I would have 4 dividers in the syrup pan espiecaly if you will be adding flues in the back

Super Sapper
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Does anyone else have any input? I'm mostly interested in how deep the pans should be.

RileySugarbush
03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
If you plan on adding flues to the sap pan in the future, make the sides at least 11" tall, maybe a couple inches taller. Flues and drop tubes really splash sap around!

your syrup pan can be lower, maybe 7 inches or so.

RollinsOrchards
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
On a good boil the sap will climb the corners and run out over the sides of my 5 inch deep pan. I would make them a lot deeper unless you enjoy the smell of burning syrup on the outside of your evaporator.