PDA

View Full Version : may be wishful thinking

patrick81
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
but i looked on accuweather.com and that says that next week will have the most ideal weather we've had all season. i have my fingers crossed,i really dont wanna pack it up yet, with only 7 gal under my belt when last yr at this time i had 32.

bees1st
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM
this will be very interesting to see what happens to the sap flow after this record warmth. Red maples are quite swelled in my neck of the woods,sugars are starting. I'm partially cleaned up but would be tempted to fire the rig up again!

MaineMapleDave
03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Pulled the taps Sunday (3/18), which was early compared to "average" years, but the sap was turning cloudy and not tasting good. The peepers started in the woods later that day, which always signals the end.

A short, miserable year. Heard that from a few others, as well, but it'll be interesting to see the overall results.

abbott
03-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I'm going to clean everything up today, but if we get a good freeze and the buds haven't broken yet, i'll run the vacuum pump and see what happens. Right now i'm at 3/4 of expected production. A poor season, but not a total loss.

hambone
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Looks like a perfect forecast for the next few nights in Cornville, even talking 15 degrees. I don't think I can see any buds on sugar maples(reds are budded). Now we will see what happens after 3 eighty degree days in March. I'll keep you posted

abbott
03-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Red maples are all budded out. Sugar maple buds are significantly swelled, but not open. I assume that means the sap won't be any good, but i've never had the taps still in when the buds began to swell.

DonMcJr
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Same thing here in Michigan...weather looks good and I put the 5 taps back in that I took out yesterday evening just to see if I can get another gallong or 2 of Syrup!