PDA

View Full Version : Sap life at 80 degrees storage: can I boil it?

FameFlower
03-19-2012, 02:31 AM
We are having a dismal sugaring season in east-central Minnesota. We had little snow, so the forest ground froze hard. We had ideal sugaring weather December, January, and Feb (NOT normal), those folks who did tap then didn't get anything. Now it's March and we've had 50 degree temps starting 2 weeks ago (no freezing nights). For those on vaccuum the sap finally started to run last week, though just a pitance of what it should be, as the ground has finally thawed.

We are processing sap in 50 degree + weather. The sap is of course cloudy with all the microbial activity. Yesterday it was 80 degrees and no one was around to help in the fine weather. I have ~800 gallons of sap... my entire systems decided to not work: vacuum pump, RO, filter press, and now my bigfinishing pan needs cleaning. I can't fix/clean everything by myself. So the sap has been sitting for nearly 24 hours unprocessed.

I know its only 800 gallons, but it's all there is. What a waste. :cry:

PerryW
03-19-2012, 03:33 AM
i'd boil it. If nothing else, you can sell it as commercial.

lpakiz
03-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Absolutely--boil it. I have boiled almost every day this week (80* temps) and the syrup is dark but good!

RollinsOrchards
03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Get cooking! Dark syrup is better than no syrup.

chevypower
03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear that, do you have everything up and running now? I agree with the others, boil away and sell it as commercial grade.

Michael Greer
03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
We boiled the last out this way...it takes longer I think, because the yeasts are eating up the sugar as fast as they can. You'll use more fuel, and it might look like tar, but it still tastes good, but you might as well since you've already gathered it.