PDA

View Full Version : new to the vacuum idea

cmstearns
03-18-2012, 06:47 PM
i have only 18 taps on my small peace of heaven and i was woundering if u had a small pump system if i would get more sap from them. any mini vacuum pumps out there or is it even worth it.

spud
03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
There must be some small vacuum pump that you could buy. I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not but if you had one you might get two or three times as much sap. My wife has 100 taps on gravity behind our sugar house and she has gotten only 3 gallons per tap so far for the season. My woods has vacuum running 28 pounds and I have gotten 13 gallons per tap so far. If you do go vac only put 2-3 taps per lateral.

Spud

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-18-2012, 08:43 PM
i have only 18 taps on my small peace of heaven and i was woundering if u had a small pump system if i would get more sap from them. any mini vacuum pumps out there or is it even worth it.
pump is the cheap part, the releaser is the part that breaks the bank

PerryW
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Unless you like tinkering for the fun of of it; or you have no possibility of expanding tap counts; it is more cost effective to increase sap production by adding taps. Using $8 per tap for expenses, you could double your taps for $144 dollars. A vacuum system would be far more expensive. From what I've heard, you have to get more than 20 inches of vacuum and tap very conservatively (5 or so taps per lateral) to actually double your production over vacuum.

sugarwoodacres
03-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Ive heard you can set up a timer on vac pump and have in piped into tank without a releasre . This is a cheaper alternative for us budget sugerers

delivron
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Contact Glen Goodrich in Cabot Vt. He sell a sap puller with no releaser required. Good for approximately 400 taps. It will work on truck batteries and an inverter if you don't have power inthe bush.

Andy deLivron

wiam
03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Contact Glen Goodrich in Cabot Vt. He sell a sap puller with no releaser required. Good for approximately 400 taps. It will work on truck batteries and an inverter if you don't have power inthe bush.

Andy deLivron

Yes but that pump is close to $1000.