PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected run in Sunapee, 18 March!

SandMan
03-18-2012, 03:07 PM
66 degrees today, mid 30's last night, sap is running as hard as I've seen it yet this year. Has not ran since last Tuesday/Wednesday, so we're did this come from???? I was actually starting to "clean-up" the sugar house, etc... Guess I'll drain the water out of the pan and start boiling again!

PerryW
03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
66 degrees today, mid 30's last night, sap is running as hard as I've seen it yet this year. Has not ran since last Tuesday/Wednesday, so we're did this come from???? I was actually starting to "clean-up" the sugar house, etc... Guess I'll drain the water out of the pan and start boiling again!

I just turned my computer on to post almost the same thing for my Littleton/Lyman Trees. I wouldn't call it "hard as I've seen" but it's flowing pretty respectable right now with the temp at 68 deg! I emptied everything this morning and have at least 150 gallons in the tanks now.

backyard sugaring
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Start to clean up and noticed it was flowing. Do you think the sap will be any good? Thanks Lee

PerryW
03-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Start to clean up and noticed it was flowing. Do you think the sap will be any good? Thanks Lee

I dunno. Hudson is usually 2 weeks ahead of us here in the Littleton Area (at 1000' elevation)

I would try boiling a small pan of sap on your stove to see if the steam smells bad (to determine if it's bud run).

You can divide a gallon of sap into 4 pots and put one on each stove burner (on high) and boil like crazy. Boil them till the liquid is low and combine them and you can make a few ounces of syrup to taste test in less than 1 hour.