PDA

View Full Version : End of season sweet pan?

bairdswift
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
What do you do with your sweets left in your pan at the end of the season? My pan only has maybe 20 gal but what do you do when you have 100 plus gal?

chevypower
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
We'll be chasing it out with water when we sugar off so we won't loose much.

PerryW
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
You can just keep boiling till you run out of sap and then start adding water till you get another take-off, but you end up wasting some sugar. But this year, I can't afford to waste any sugar.

So I can boil both pans down as low as you dare to go. Let everything cool down. Drain the back pan into a barrel and replace with water. Fire the rig back up with the damper closed (to keep the heat up front) and keep adding the sap from the barrell into the front pan. Boil till you hit as close to syrup as possible. Let cool down and finish on the stove.

maple flats
03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I close the valve between the syrup and flue pans, drain the fluie pan into a barrel, then boil in the front with water in the flue pan. When the flue pan drainings get low, I put the rest into my finisher along with what is left in the syrup pan. Then I finish it in the finisher. At the same time, I flood the syrup pan and re start the fire to begin clean up. I lose no sugar this way. Before I had my finisher I finished it in my canner or on turkey friers (with SS pots).