PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

Birdland Sugarbush
03-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Doing my last boil of the year. Had about 120 gallons of sap and I'm down to probably 20-30 gallons. I've yet to draw off any syrup...

I'm sure I'll get some, but what do I do with sap in the pan? Last year I poured it all off and boiled it down inside. This year I think I'll have too much sap to boil down on the stove.

DonMcJr
03-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I boiled mine on my TurkeyFryer and got 88 ozof Syrup...

western mainer
03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
If it's a divided pan just start adding water to chase it in the pan.
Brian

Ausable
03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Yep - Did the same thing with mine - day before yesterday. Once the last of my sap starts to leave the feed tank - I shut off my feed tank valve and partially fill the feed tank with water. I isolate my sap pan from my syrup pan and isolate the first two channels of my syrup pan from the last channel of my syrup pan - as the level goes down over all - I scoop the liquid forward from my sap pan to the first two channels of my syrup pans and with about 1/2 inch left in my sap pan flood it with water from my feed tank. Now I just have almost syrup in my syrup pan channels. I draw off almost syrup from my last syrup pan and when that is about 1/2 inch left in it I scoop the partial syrup from the first two syrup channels into the last syrup channel and play that little game till I'm down to about 1/2 inch in the first two syrup channels - at that point I pull the isolation plug between the sap pan and the first two syrup channels - flooding them with a couple inches of water. Now We just have the last syrup channel to deal with - again I check what I have in that with the trusty syrup hydrometer and draw off the last of my syrup from that - again leaving about 1/2 inch behind - again I pull the isolation plug between the first two syrup channels and flood the last syrup channel with about two inches of water. Now the whole evaporator has water in it and I have saved about as much maple syrup as possible and I am done boiling on the evaporator. (LOL - Lots of cleanup left). The whole game on the Final Boil of the year is to save all the syrup you can and not scorch the pans....... I use a Turkey Fryer Burner and a Deep restaurant pan to finish my syrup on - the restaurant pan has a draw off valve in it too. Finished 15 plus gallons of maple syrup on it this year....Started pulling taps to day ---and than --- Oh Joy! the clean up begans--------Mike-----