PDA

View Full Version : Different idea for a drop flue.

Super Sapper
03-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I am new to making maple syrup this year and I think that I am hooked. I've read several hours on these threads learning what I can. My thought is to run a pipe straight down out of sap pan for about 6 inches and then have it run the length of the pan angled upward. This should cause the sap to follow the tube up as it boils and act as an air lift pump cirdulating the sap in the pan from one end to the other. It would also give a lot more surface area than just going straight down with 6 inch piece. What are your thoughts on this?

PerryW
03-17-2012, 10:08 PM
It may be difficult to clean out the pipes at the end of the season. ALso, I'm not sure if you really want to circulate the the sap from end to end when boiling. You really want it to slowly flow from the cold sap inlet to the outlet to the syrup pan. This slow flow of develops a gradient from inlet to outlet.

Super Sapper
03-18-2012, 07:11 AM
This would be for a sap pan and with only 1 90 degree elbow you could probably use a bottle brush withan extension to clean. Thanks for your replay.

heus
03-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Try it and let us know how it works.

kinalfarm
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
I built a pan like that this season. If you pm me I will send you pics. Via email or text. Also the thread is still up under drop tube flu pan.