PDA

View Full Version : Grading question involving redish hues???

red maples
03-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Alright so like many folks I use the temparary grading kits, and I know the perm. kits are very close in colors of brown I would assume. when my syrup gets darker it gets the reddish hue..

(red maples I guess or what maybe something in the soil whatever irrelevant to this question)

Now when you get close to the Grade a dark and Grade B Boarder. its pretty red and difficult to get it right in my opinion.

Attached is a a pick of the grading bottles the one on the left is the Kit and the oine on the right is mine and I would call this dark A. but as it even gets closer it gets tougher to tell!!!

Amber Gold
03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
I'd call it a DA. From my experiance/understanding, so long as you're not trying to be deceitful and it can pass the straightface test, you'll be fine. Grading on the borders is subjective anyways.

Randy Brutkoski
03-17-2012, 11:25 PM
I am getting the reddish stuff too. great flavor, but so hard to grade. Just dont understand.

red maples
03-18-2012, 04:58 AM
The one I posted there is a pretty easy one to grade but when I did a quick grade as I was filling the 5 gal container I marked it grade b when I held it up to the light then when I went to bottle it I looked again and held it again white paper and went hey DA. So Like I said this one was easy but some of them are really hard to tell but I like what josh said as long it can pass the straight face test. And the boarders are tough anyway!!!