PDA

View Full Version : check valve for vaccum pump

howden86
03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I have a vaccum with oil reclaimer and moisture trap. It has a auto start and stop. My problem is if it shuts off all the oil goes into my moisture trap and then on the floor. How do I fix this

Parker
03-28-2006, 05:15 AM
On my Massport 500 (a large pump) I have a check valve on each side of the pump head,,that way it cannot pull any vacume through it when it shuts itself off,,when it dose shut of it spins backwards about 1/2 a revolution then stops,,,,,befor I had the valves it wouls spin backwards for some time as the long line going to the releaser (and probably the rest of the tubing system) acted as a vacume resivior,,,,,

heus
12-30-2012, 08:20 AM
This is an ancient thread, but... Can someone recommend a specific 1" check valve to use in this circumstance?

spencer11
12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
do you need a double check valve? if so ive seen them at grainger, but they are quite expensive

heus
12-30-2012, 08:41 AM
No just a check valve that works with vacuum.

PARKER MAPLE
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Check out the ones at bascoms, I herd there work well

heus
12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
You are talking about the brass check valves? $15.75 each?

PARKER MAPLE
12-30-2012, 10:30 AM
yes
I for get who spoke of these but said they worked good. No plastic parts to freeze up
and can heat up a little if they ever do
MR

heus
12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks MR I take it they work in both the vacuum and the sap lines?

spencer11
12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
yeah the will work with both, im using them on the releaser im building

Dennis H.
12-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I use the clear PVC swing style check valves for my pumps. They have no spring that requires some force to work.
I never had any problems with them freezing as I never had any moisture at the checkvalve.

I got my clear check valves from Aquacave.com they sell stuff for fish ponds and stuff like that.

On my sp11 I have the check valve mounted vertical so that if any moisture is there it will self drain, also with no vac the weight of the flapper stays open so no way for it to freeze shut.

I plan on putting on on my Delaval 73 but not sure if I really need one. As soon as it stops running the the vanes no longer fly outward and vac is lost right away. So there is no way for vac to still there to pull oil out of the reclaimer.

spud
12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I have a vaccum with oil reclaimer and moisture trap. It has a auto start and stop. My problem is if it shuts off all the oil goes into my moisture trap and then on the floor. How do I fix this

You only need one check valve between your pump and moisture trap. I bought mine at Webbs in Saint Albans VT. What ever your outlet is on your pump then your check valve needs to be the same size or bigger. If you go smaller you take away CFMs to your woods and possibly a lose in overall sap production for the season. Steve Child said in a on line vacuum seminar that a person could lose half their CFMs right in the sugar house by under sizing their pipe from pump to releaser. If your check valve is smaller then your pipe you would have to be losing CFMs.

Spud

sapman
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
You only need one check valve between your pump and moisture trap. I bought mine at Webbs in Saint Albans VT. What ever your outlet is on your pump then your check valve needs to be the same size or bigger. If you go smaller you take away CFMs to your woods and possibly a lose in overall sap production for the season. Steve Child said in a on line vacuum seminar that a person could lose half their CFMs right in the sugar house by under sizing their pipe from pump to releaser. If your check valve is smaller then your pipe you would have to be losing CFMs.

Spud

That's a good point. Same size checks usually reduce on the inside, swingchecks not so much. Especially brass/stainless spring check valves reduce a lot. I was using a brass swingcheck on my vacuum pump once, and you could hear it bouncing sometimes. The pin actually broke on it and the flap ended up in the line. Fortunately didn't suck into the pump.