PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shacks in Maine

MapleOak
03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Did anyone see this new bill Gov. Lepage signed... http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=Portal+News&id=361700&v=Article-2008
Does anyone know more about this... does this mean we can basically put our sugar shacks anywhere? Apologizes if I should post this else where...

RollinsOrchards
03-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Lurc only has a say in unorganized territories and the like, and I am guessing the 1000' setback is/was from edges of ponds and lakes. So I will bet that this doesn't change anything for the average producer in Maine.

Revi
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I think it's a good idea.

Flat47
03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
I think the days of LURC as we know it are numbered...

Revi
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
The problem with that is that each county would become the Lurc of its unorganized towns. That would mean that the county commissioners would need to be the planning board of a huge area.

Flat47
03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
The problem with that is that each county would become the Lurc of its unorganized towns. That would mean that the county commissioners would need to be the planning board of a huge area.

Agreed. It would shift the burden from State government to County government. Many counties in northen Maine (where the bulk of unorganized territories are) are already under-staffed and struggle with zoning and planning to begin with. I expect to see LURC to be more of a planning and advising group and less regulatory and enforcement.