PDA

View Full Version : Production question

fatjacks
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
This year I started with 10 taps and then added another 20 down the road. I made 4 gallons of syrup from that. Next year I would like to make 10 to 15 gallons of syrup. The question is; how many taps do I need and what size evaporator would be best? Any info would be greatly appricaited.

OldManMaple
03-15-2012, 07:11 PM
In a good year 50 to 75 taps should give you 10 to 15 gallons. A 2x4 or so would fit the bill. All depends on how much time you have to boil, and how much $$ you have to spend.

RollinsOrchards
03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Of course it depends on the year as well. Last year 50 taps produced 25 gallons of syrup in the last half of the season. This year 160 taps have not quite made 20 gallons, and only looks like 2 more days run before the season ends.

Ed R
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
This was my first year making syrup at my house. I have 68 taps on my property, all red and silver maples. My goal prior to the begining of the season was to make 10 gallon for our personal use and for our church's breakfasts. I made 15 gallons and would have made 2 more if we wouldn't have scorched a pan. I have a 2x4 leader vermonter pan with a 2x2 preheater pan tied in series on a 2x6 leader arch. Very happy with the season and with the evaporators performance. I personally would not make syrup without a flue or drop tube pan. I could have easily made that much syrup with just the 2x4, but the extra surface area really helps, especially if you have limited time. If you have all nice big crown sugar maples you might not need quite as many taps.