PDA

View Full Version : Steel pan instead of stainless

fatjacks
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Has anyone ever used just a plan steel pan? Does it effect the syrup?

smokeyamber
03-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Just built plain steel pans, so far no taste issues. Keep em clean and they are just fine. In my case way cheaper and a good warm-up for someday making them out of stainless. Mig welded mine, would need a pricey TIG welder and LOTS of proctice to do stainless.

I would say if you are selling your stuff people want stainless. My stuff is for home consumption and I have done everything I can to make them clean and safe. Lead free solder, lots of cleaning before use etc...

They should store up fine just oiled up with something food grade ...

sandman6921
03-15-2012, 06:44 PM
When I used a plain steel pan,after use, I wiped it down with mineral oil from the pharmacy. It won't turn rancid like vegetable oil, and its food grade.

fatjacks
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
What about when it gets sweetened for the year? Will it be good all season?

Ausable
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM
What about when it gets sweetened for the year? Will it be good all season?

Hi fatjacks --- I have homemade - flat-bottomed - steel - continuous flow pans. I just finished boiling for the day and left my pans sweetened. As I banked the arch - I also put my two isolation plugs in and have the sap and almost syrup trapped in three different sections of my pans so it dosen't blend together and when I fire up tomorrow - I can start about where I left off. This way - about an hour after I get the fire ripping in my arch - I can make my first draw off of almost syrup. I leave my isolation plugs in till I get a boil going and as I make my first draw off - I remove the plugs and away we go for another day of boiling sap and finishing syrup. ---Hope this helps explaining it to You....... ---Mike---

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
It makes dark syrup.
Better heat transfer and cheaper. Good starting point.

fatjacks
03-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi fatjacks --- I have homemade - flat-bottomed - steel - continuous flow pans. I just finished boiling for the day and left my pans sweetened. As I banked the arch - I also put my two isolation plugs in and have the sap and almost syrup trapped in three different sections of my pans so it dosen't blend together and when I fire up tomorrow - I can start about where I left off. This way - about an hour after I get the fire ripping in my arch - I can make my first draw off of almost syrup. I leave my isolation plugs in till I get a boil going and as I make my first draw off - I remove the plugs and away we go for another day of boiling sap and finishing syrup. ---Hope this helps explaining it to You....... ---Mike---

What do you mean by bank arch?

Ausable
03-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Guess I was a Boiler Operator a little to long. Banking a Boiler is going off line - pulling the fire - but maintaining temperatures and pressure so as to be available at short notice. With My Arch - I close things up (Arch door and Ash Door) and keep hot coals and warm sap (but not boiling) so I can fire up quick in the morning. I shouldn't have used that term here......Hey! I finished up today ---- The last of Our Maple Syrup is canned (in canning jars). About steel pans - the last couple of boils my syrup is a bit darker and I think part of it is from leaving my pans sweet between each boil - it gradually darkens the syrup - that and changing sap conditions. How is your Maple Syrup making going? ----Mike----

fatjacks
03-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I am done here. Had a good season for my first one. I made 4 gallons and learned a lot. I am just thiniking bout next year. Can't wait to expand.