PDA

View Full Version : bulk syrup prices

highlandcattle
03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
has anyone gotten ideas of what is being offered for bulk syrup this year?

CBOYER
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Federation in Qc is 3% more than last year

sapman
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Called bascom last week. 2.60 LT and Med, 2.50 or 2.55 dk, 2.45 B, 2 com and 1.75 unfiltered

ennismaple
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I expect Quebec will have as bad a year as we did in Eastern Ontario. Bulk prices (selling and buying) will have to go up.

maple maniac65
03-16-2012, 05:21 AM
Called bascom last week. 2.60 LT and Med, 2.50 or 2.55 dk, 2.45 B, 2 com and 1.75 unfiltered

Dark is worth more than Medium?

ejmaple
03-16-2012, 06:14 AM
no, light and med are the same.

spud
03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
I was told that if Canada and Maine have poor seasons then the price may go up. Although I wish both places a great season it does seem the warm temps are on their way also. Has anyone else heard of the possible price increase?

Spud

jmayerl
03-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Yup went up here already. I have a bulk buyer that just called me and will take any of my leftovers for 2.85. He said just bring it over unfiltered and its the same price. So guess what I'm doing right now.....bracing the 95 degree temps in the shack and cooking my cloudy 700 degree sap!

tuckermtn
03-17-2012, 01:59 AM
was at bascoms friday. the price they are paying is up by $.05 a pound for light and medium. The price they are selling for - $3.05 for dark and 3.10 for medium and light- have not moved yet. they are at around 13000 gals of syrup and I saw about 4000 gallons of sap roll by while I was there.

03-17-2012, 06:13 AM
I was told that if Canada and Maine have poor seasons then the price may go up. Although I wish both places a great season it does seem the warm temps are on their way also. Has anyone else heard of the possible price increase?

Spud ya this season here wasn't so good but further north may be better

Randy Brutkoski
03-17-2012, 07:41 AM
That is horrible for bascoms. I heard they make around 30,000 to 33,000 gallons ayear, and they are close to being done. Give it time, the bulk price should go up.

CBOYER
03-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Minimum Quebec federation prices for 2012 are:
AA $2.89
A $2.89
B $2.87
C $2.79
D $2.52
N/C $2.29
Actual strategic reserve is 36.5 million pounds

tuckermtn
03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
canadian dollar is on par the last I checked so those are the same as USD $$.

can'twaitforabigrun
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
‎This is courtesy of Bascom's Facebook page: 2012 Total Production: 17,142 gallons running off of just over 68,500 taps; last year (closer to 67,000 taps), we made roughly 24,000 gallons.

Amber Gold
03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
So they've at least made 0.25 gpt which isn't too bad, although coming up 7k gal short of last season is a pretty big difference. Pretty impressive for a large operation like them to make 0.35 gpt last season. How wonder how big their crew is that walks to woods looking for vac. leaks, and I wonder how high of vac. they run.

heus
03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Anyone know what the going rates are at this time?

spud
03-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Anyone know what the going rates are at this time?

In the States I was told the price will be about the same as last year. In Canada it all depends on who holds the key to the warehouse. :lol:

Spud

Homestead Maple
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Bascom's told me last Saturday that they are paying $2.75 a pound for light and medium and $2.70 for dark.

tuckermtn
03-23-2013, 02:12 AM
I believe that is the same price they quoted in late February. So not moving much from what I can tell

Homestead Maple
03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Ya, I would say that until Bascom's knows more about the season in Canada there won't be much of a change in prices.

Thad Blaisdell
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
at 2.75 bascoms is screwing you. Highland is paying me 2.89. that is not organic either. I was told Bascoms wasnt paying well.

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-24-2013, 06:52 AM
at 2.75 bascoms is screwing you. Highland is paying me 2.89. that is not organic either. I was told Bascoms wasnt paying well.Highland dropped 7 cents/lb. sold a load 2 weeks ago- got 2.89/lb. Took a load out this last thursday got 2.82/lb-has to be in stainless to get this price. Neil

spud
03-24-2013, 07:12 AM
My sap buyer shipped out 150 ( 50 gallon barrels) to Highland last week and got $2.95 for organic. That's down from $2.97 last year.

Spud

sjdoyon
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Highlands also is paying .03 a pound for shipping and .03 a pound if you own your own barrels. They also have incentives if you only take fifty percent of payment at deliver (extra .05 a pound and interest on your funds after a designated timeframe.). If you are a large producer, worth looking into it. Nothing against Bascom but prices are not even close.

Mark
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
At Highland do you have to come back later for the barrels or do they empty them on the spot?

markct
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I think everyone has a place in the market, bascoms prices are fair in my opinion, and they will buy much smaller quanities than most of the larger bulk buyers, most wont even buy in 5 gal containers, where bascoms does and deducts a small charge per pound for the extra labor involved in grading and handling, cleaning etc small containers. While the other places may offer 15 cents more a pound its not worth it to many of us selling smaller quanities to make the trip further north. I dont sell alot of bulk, usualy when i do it is to trade towards supplies at bascoms, but have always felt they kept a good balance of price they paid to service they provide to the small and medium producer. I have a feeling if you showed up at the dock with 5 or 10 gal of syrup at most of the other bulk buyers they would laugh at you.

vtmapleman
03-24-2013, 02:10 PM
When I deliver my syrup to Highland Sugarworks in April I pick up the barrells the following Jan/Feb. I have never seen them empty a customers barrell to immediately take back....than again ask they 'might'. You never know unless you ask

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Highlands also is paying .03 a pound for shipping and .03 a pound if you own your own barrels. They also have incentives if you only take fifty percent of payment at deliver (extra .05 a pound and interest on your funds after a designated timeframe.). If you are a large producer, worth looking into it. Nothing against Bascom but prices are not even close.2.82 is including the extra .03 for delivery and extra .03 for owning your own stainless barrels. Neil

Dill
03-24-2013, 07:19 PM
What's the organic rate? I'm toying with going organic at our new house I'm thinking wholesale is were the advantage is.

daniel_wentworth
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
how does this work....Is that a price oer pound of sugar? they don't buy by the gallon? Guess I need to take "bulk syrup prices 101".

Dill
03-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Its the price per lb of syrup, figure 11 lbs to the gallon.

DaveB
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Has anyone heard any recent prices? We had a great season down here and things are just about over and I'm thinking that the north country and our Canadian friends did too. What's that doing to prices?

ennismaple
04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't know what bulk prices are but Ontario has had an above average season and I expect Quebec will be the same or better.

spud
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
What's the organic rate? I'm toying with going organic at our new house I'm thinking wholesale is were the advantage is.

Organic is paying $2.95LB for light and med. Dark is $2.85 and grade B is $2.60

Spud

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Called Bascoms today price es still holding at 2.75 pound for light and medium.

shane hickey
04-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Isnt all syrup organic?

maple flats
04-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Yes, but not if you don't pay Uncle Sam for the right to call it organic, then you can't label it as such.

Mark
04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Isnt all syrup organic?
The way I see it, what kind of defoamer is used?

DrTimPerkins
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Yes, but not if you don't pay Uncle Sam for the right to call it organic, then you can't label it as such.

Actually, Uncle Sam has relatively little to do with it. There are no defined national (U.S.) organic maple standards. The standards are set by the organic certifying agencies. In general, most sugaring operations could be certified organic with little change to their operations, but your syrup is not, by legal definition, organic unless it is CERTIFIED organic.

Mark
04-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I would go for an organic certificate if there was a charge for only the inspection. I checked with I think it was Mosa and they also wanted a percentage of your gross sales. My viewpoint is what does gross sales have to do with organic.

802maple
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Mark, check with NOFA. I am not sure if they go all the way out to you or not, but they only charge for the inspection.

gentlemanfarmervt
04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
so what are bulk rates per pound? just wondering organic and "not" thanks

Squaredeal
04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
VOF (Vermont Organic Farmers) is the certifying agency for Vermont and they charge on a sliding scale for certification. Your fee depends on your gross sales for the preceding year.
Here is a link to the NOFA standards. It's quite a bit more than choice of de-foamer.
http://nofavt.org/sites/default/files/Maple%20Guidelines%20Final_0.pdf

Scribner's Mountain Maple
04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
That was an interesting read. I was considering going "certified" organic as I believe I am for the most part already. And still may. But Could someone please explain to me why the amount of road infrastructure plays a role in my "organic" certification. And the condition of those roads. It sounds to me as though that is getting a little to far away from Maple production. Or anything to do with Organic. I do see the argument that erosion is bad for the environment, but what the heck does that have to with organic production of Maple syrup? I just can't see how keeping my waterbars established and ditches cleaned out has anything to do with an Organic Product????

Another aspect that was a concern to me was that an "approved" means of dealing with pests is to release natural predators in the area. Really? Haven't we learned our lesson from playing with mother nature like this. It says "Biological controls such as release of natural predators and parasites and providing habitat for natural predators". Personally I think this is a bad idea. From birds to snakes to hogs, america is already over run by introduced critters. What if the predators we introduce to deal with one pest becomes one itself and kills things we don't want them too.

spud
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
so what are bulk rates per pound? just wondering organic and "not" thanks

Organic is $2.95 LB. Dark is $2.85 LB

Spud

brookledge
04-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Scribners,
While my response is getting away from the original topic, my thoughts on the amount of road infastructure potentually has a lot to do with it. Unlike ag fields where most of the fertilizers etc are controlled by the farmer. When it comes to road side maples so many things can happen like a car crashes into a tree and splills fuel and oil. Other issues that can happen on back rooads is someone has a barrel of something they want to get rid of and just dump it off. Chemicals used in winter road maintenance. Home owners using chemicals on their lawns. On an on. Some producers rely heavilly on these areas that potential hazards. vs the producer that only has his orchard totally away from roads. Like many of these certifications they grade the farmer on the many aspects of the criteria and depending on your final score if you pass you can be certified.
Keith

wiam
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Scribners,
While my response is getting away from the original topic, my thoughts on the amount of road infastructure potentually has a lot to do with it. Unlike ag fields where most of the fertilizers etc are controlled by the farmer. When it comes to road side maples so many things can happen like a car crashes into a tree and splills fuel and oil. Other issues that can happen on back rooads is someone has a barrel of something they want to get rid of and just dump it off. Chemicals used in winter road maintenance. Home owners using chemicals on their lawns. On an on. Some producers rely heavilly on these areas that potential hazards. vs the producer that only has his orchard totally away from roads. Like many of these certifications they grade the farmer on the many aspects of the criteria and depending on your final score if you pass you can be certified.
Keith

Pretty sure they taking about woods roads. A lot of organic rules have more to do with "feeling good" than about how natural something is

Homestead Maple
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I wonder if they would have a problem with syrup made from trees that are in or around a grave yard? :)

That was an interesting read. I was considering going "certified" organic as I believe I am for the most part already. And still may. But Could someone please explain to me why the amount of road infrastructure plays a role in my "organic" certification. And the condition of those roads. It sounds to me as though that is getting a little to far away from Maple production. Or anything to do with Organic. I do see the argument that erosion is bad for the environment, but what the heck does that have to with organic production of Maple syrup? I just can't see how keeping my waterbars established and ditches cleaned out has anything to do with an Organic Product????

Another aspect that was a concern to me was that an "approved" means of dealing with pests is to release natural predators in the area. Really? Haven't we learned our lesson from playing with mother nature like this. It says "Biological controls such as release of natural predators and parasites and providing habitat for natural predators". Personally I think this is a bad idea. From birds to snakes to hogs, america is already over run by introduced critters. What if the predators we introduce to deal with one pest becomes one itself and kills things we don't want them too.

mapleack
04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Gov't highway robbery in my opinion. In Pennsylvania IF I was certified organic and sold 20k in products it would cost me $1,700 per year. Yes you can charge more for organic but the price to do so really burns me!

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
The gov't doesn't charge you to certify, the certifying agency does.

lew
04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Also, check with different certifying agencies. The price varies widely among them for the same certification.

markct
04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
So if this isnt the gov certifying us organic the why is there supposedly a law that says we cant call it organic unless its certified? Seems we should be able to say its organic just not call it certified organic. Maple was basicly one of the first products to be regulated as pure anyhow.

mapleack
04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
The gov't doesn't charge you to certify, the certifying agency does. Good point, call it gov't supported highway robbery then! :)

tuckermtn
04-27-2013, 10:06 AM
back to pricing- for syrup delivered to Highland Sugarworks at their Barre Vt. warehouse in my stainless barrels, I was paid 2.84 per pound for A dark (I thought it was B) and $2.69 for B. Folks were very helpful and easy to deal with. 802maple's son Lance was grading and tasting the syrup.

I felt a little silly in my Tacoma with 2 barrels and a keg when right next to me on the loading dock they were unloading a tractor trailer with barrel after barrel from a vermont producer. Puts some perspective on my dinky operation.

I will definetly sell to them again.

maple flats
04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
You say at their Barre, Vt warehouse, do they have any other locations, maybe closer to Albany, NY?

Homestead Maple
04-27-2013, 09:16 PM
So you figure it was worth the extra gas to go north rather than south? I just wondered about the economics?
back to pricing- for syrup delivered to Highland Sugarworks at their Barre Vt. warehouse in my stainless barrels, I was paid 2.84 per pound for A dark (I thought it was B) and $2.69 for B. Folks were very helpful and easy to deal with. 802maple's son Lance was grading and tasting the syrup.

I felt a little silly in my Tacoma with 2 barrels and a keg when right next to me on the loading dock they were unloading a tractor trailer with barrel after barrel from a vermont producer. Puts some perspective on my dinky operation.

I will definetly sell to them again.

tuckermtn
04-27-2013, 11:35 PM
I was on my way to the open houses and to pick up some glass at APOVT. Even if I wasn't passing by, I probably burn as much gas on the back roads to Bascoms as I do on the highway to Barre.

doocat
04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
did they keep your barrels or did you take them back with you?

Craig

tuckermtn
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
they kept my barrels.

Apparently they also have some sort of arraigment that if you do not need all of your payout right then, you can get a bonus or some sort of interest payment so that they can spread out their cash flow. I will look in to that for next time. Zach is the buyer, Lance is tester, and Deb handles the $$. They may have buyers in other parts of maple nation- but I think their focus has been on buying from NE.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-29-2013, 04:34 AM
You say at their Barre, Vt warehouse, do they have any other locations, maybe closer to Albany, NY?

ok this how highland works if i remember it correctly

the price is 2.78 across the board fancy to Grade A dark

then if its your barrel you get .03 more a pound (2.81)
If you deliver it to them thats another.03 more a pound (2.84)

if you dont need your money right away (this where it gets sketchy on my memory) i think its another .03 a pound plus they will pay you interest (5%) on that money.

you dont get the .03 if you have their barrels.
you dont get .03 if they "come to your sugar house and pick it up"

I dont know if 5 gal totes are the same or not

Hit up Thad he knows exactly how it works
or hell call them up.

Thad Blaisdell
04-29-2013, 05:06 AM
I know they pick up syrup in NY, a bunch of it. Only way to know is to call them and find out. Ask for Zack 802-479-1747.

I will say that they are extremely easy to work with, and you dont need to worry about your barrels. Maplegrove destroyed several of my barrels last year and didnt care one way or the other, I will never ever send syrup there again. Bascoms is always a cluster when it comes to finding your barrels, and these guys your barrels never leave the warehouse, when empty and cleaned they get stacked up easy to get to and they help load them. Find that anywhere else.

Homestead Maple
04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Do they take syrup in galvanized barrels?

maple maniac65
04-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Do they take syrup in galvanized barrels?

Didn't VT outlaw the sale of all syrup in Galvanized barrels within it's borders? and all Syrup leaving Vt has to be in SS or Food grade drums

802maple
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
If it is Vermont maple, yes or labeled as such

vtmapleman
04-30-2013, 05:22 PM
I agree with Thad 100%..I have been selling to Highland Sugarworks for the last 10 years. Zack, Deb and the rest of the crew are the nicest folks to work with - they are so helpful and will always accommodate you. I know Jim is looking down on his team and is smiling - RIP

sjdoyon
04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Delivering a tractor trailer load to Highlands in the morning. Look forward to doing business with them. Been very friendly to date.

tuckermtn
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Steve- it was Yvan's suggestion that pushed me to pursue selling to Highland- so pass on a thanks to him for the heads-up on that one.

-Eric

lmathews
05-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi all,
Does Highland buy commercial grade filtered syrup?I have 2-30 gallon barrels,my barrels are plastic.Anyone from St.lawrence county going up to them?
Thanks
Lee

NH Maplemaker
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have a phone # for Highland? Thanks

wiam
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Right at the top of this page

802maple
05-01-2013, 04:53 PM
1 802 479 1747

NH Maplemaker
05-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you 802! will call tomorrow.

paul
06-11-2013, 06:06 AM
So now that June is here can anyone tell me where the price of syrup ended up.

Randy Brutkoski
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
This is the first year I have sold syrup to highland and I think I will stick with them. Nice people and they don't grade your dark amber, grade b. like some packers on the other side of the conneticut river.,

Thad Blaisdell
06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
currently highland is not taking new customers...... they are still buying from existing customers

GeneralStark
06-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I think he was just asking for bulk prices, not where to sell bulk syrup.

wiam
06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
currently highland is not taking new customers...... they are still buying from existing customers

I wish they had told me that 6 weeks ago instead of not calling me back twice. The third time I called 3 weeks ago they said they did not need syrup. Don't think I will call them again soon. :(

wiam
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Just got check from Maple Grove. Fancy/Medium 2.65 Dark 2.60 B 2.45

markct
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Are you refering to bascoms grading your dark a as b ? Just curious cause i often found they graded my syrup a grade lighter than i had thought it was from my grade set

maple flats
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
The 2 times I sold to Bascoms they also graded it more lenient than I did.

OneLegJohn
07-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Would anyone like to share an update on bulk maple syrup prices?

OneLegJohn
07-22-2013, 06:07 AM
I'm a little shocked no one has weighed in. Is it that bad?

ennismaple
07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
That I know of, nobody in Ontario is buying bulk. If they were buying it would be at the Quebec Federation prices.

GeneralStark
07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Would anyone like to share an update on bulk maple syrup prices?

It would seem that the prices quoted earlier in the thread by Wiam are at or very close to what is being paid for bulk syrup. Whether or not you can find a buyer, that is another question.

I just traded some VT C for some VT Fancy at a rate of 2.25/lb. for the C. This particular buyer has a demand for ok dark syrup.

markcasper
07-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Moved out some bulk yesterday but will be a bit before payment. $2.60 for light through dark. I guess tractor trailer loads of syrup are leaving Wisconsin destined for Canada.

jmayerl
07-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Moved out some bulk yesterday but will be a bit before payment. $2.60 for light through dark. I guess tractor trailer loads of syrup are leaving Wisconsin destined for Canada.
If this is through who I think it is, He was contracted for 20 barrels a month, right? I got paid on the spot but only took him 50 gallons that I didn't have room to store anywhere. Wish I had that syrup back since I have gone through over 100 gallons and am down to 40.

Rhino
07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Sold bulk today, Same as Mark, I will wait for payment and i had no problem with that. Steve has always treated us fair through the years and the way the gardens are growing, we won't go hungry for awhile. Rice Lake and Cumberland sure looked parched and dry though!! Like Mark said $2.60 a pound for light, Medium, Dark. The amount of syrup that Steve is sitting on is unreal. I know he mentioned to me he could use some more dark and commercial grade though.

spud
07-26-2013, 05:43 AM
With all this surplus syrup around I wonder if the price will go down next season?

Spud

doocat
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm sure the price next year will have alot to do with the upcoming season.

markcasper
07-26-2013, 12:58 PM
With the Canadians buying US syrup by the boat load, one has to wonder what is going on. I understand they are working on building their reserves, but if we have another good season and their strategic amounts are reached, it really makes you wonder what will happen.

maple flats
07-27-2013, 11:22 AM
The Canadians just know where the best syrup comes from.

spud
07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
They sure do. Their crossing the border down into Franklin country (Maple Land). Nobody makes FANCY but Vermont.:)

Spud

maple flats
07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
And Vermont won't anymore either. The new grading system has been adopted. Every area made fancy, they just call it by a different name. This was very confusing to the consumer. My biggest issue with fancy or light or golden or whatever you call it is "there is very little maple flavor" I have light, medium ,dark and B on my shelves. My sales are dark #1, B #2, med #3 and light last. I need to be careful not to pack too much light or even medium at one time. After about 4 mos. I have to repack the old blended with either dark or B to sell as dark. As an example, at the sugarhouse last week (with no real store hours, people just catch me by luck) I sold 2 gal dark, 3-1/2G dark, 7 qts dark, 14 pts dark, 16- 1/2 pts dark and 2 gal B, (one gal to another "trader" for a failed experiment making granulated from B). Even though I have light and medium on the shelves, I sold none of them. I guess my customers know where the flavor is!

PerryFamily
07-28-2013, 07:36 AM
The way I understand it is that us here the "maple capital" of Vermont can still use the iconic name of Fancy along WITH the new grading standards.
Vermont has always been known as the standard which others are judged from, whether it be syrup, cheese, foliage and many others. As Vermonters we need to make sure are products are the best, and that set us apart from the others.
Tradition runs deep in Vermont, and I feel the term / grade Fancy wont be going anywhere soon.
Just an opinion of a proud Vermonter

GeneralStark
07-28-2013, 09:01 AM
That is my understanding as well. The term "Vermont Fancy" can still be used to describe "Golden Delicate" syrup as long as the terms "Golden" and "Delicate" also appear on the container, and as long as it is Vermont syrup.

maplwrks
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
The grade labels will also have VERMONT on them also. VERMONT FANCY @#$&^% DELICATE. VERMONT #$%^&@ ROBUST DARK.....etc Vermont is a brand when it comes to Maple---nowhere else can say that!!!

PerryFamily
07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Well said Maplwrks.

Thad Blaisdell
07-29-2013, 07:44 PM
And Vermont won't anymore either. The new grading system has been adopted. Every area made fancy, they just call it by a different name. This was very confusing to the consumer. My biggest issue with fancy or light or golden or whatever you call it is "there is very little maple flavor" I have light, medium ,dark and B on my shelves. My sales are dark #1, B #2, med #3 and light last. I need to be careful not to pack too much light or even medium at one time. After about 4 mos. I have to repack the old blended with either dark or B to sell as dark. As an example, at the sugarhouse last week (with no real store hours, people just catch me by luck) I sold 2 gal dark, 3-1/2G dark, 7 qts dark, 14 pts dark, 16- 1/2 pts dark and 2 gal B, (one gal to another "trader" for a failed experiment making granulated from B). Even though I have light and medium on the shelves, I sold none of them. I guess my customers know where the flavor is!

I believe you will sell more of what you like than anything else. If a customer is on the fence they will go with your "expert" opinion. I sell almost exclusively medium and second would be Fancy.

Thompson's Tree Farm
07-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Thad,
I agree. I sell more Fancy (yes, some of us here in NY still go by an even older grading system, Fancy,no.1 and no.2) than any other grade.

Mark
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM

I did not know that syrup was ever shipped into Canada, who said that?